AA at midlife

Posted by: Dotsie

AA at midlife - 06/16/08 01:00 PM

I'm happy to share that a couple people I've been praying for for years, are now in AA. They are dealing with years of poor choices. Anyone else experiencing boomers getting help for issues they've had for years? I find it refreshing, however, they are wishing they'd done it years ago.
Posted by: Anno

Re: AA at midlife - 06/16/08 10:12 PM

But right now, this exact moment, is when they were ready. Congratulations to them both.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: AA at midlife - 06/20/08 04:11 PM

Good point ANno. Better late than never.
Posted by: LGood67334

Re: AA at midlife - 08/01/08 04:14 AM

I am glad your friends have found the help they need, Dotsie. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Lynn
Posted by: greene

Re: AA at midlife - 08/01/08 02:01 PM

Not everyone gets DT's. Withdrawal symptoms start when the last alcohol is out of the system. Maybe 5-10 hours. They include tremoring hands, profuse sweating and maybe upset stomach. The hands and shaking are the noticable ones.
Posted by: CowgirlRed

Re: AA at midlife - 08/08/08 08:02 PM

No matter how far down the scale a person has gone, she can recover from alcoholism and reclaim her life. You know you have reached rock bottom when you quit digging and "throw away your shovel". You become willing and ask for help. The spirtual path of the 12 steps is a wonderful place to start. Many women have gone ahead in midlife and made the change and are there to help others in AA and other 12 step programs. I know this first hand.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: AA at midlife - 08/08/08 08:09 PM

If a person, male or female wants to improve their lives and are willing to work at it, they can and they will. Whether it be alone, with religious help, family, friend or even groups. It can be done, it has been done by countless numbers and it will continue to be done by anyone strong enough to do it. God bless all of them!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: AA at midlife - 08/10/08 01:40 AM

Hello CowgirlRed, I lived in Kansas, and loved the fields of sunflowers. I lived in Overland Park. Well, it was Stanley, Kansas until the tiny town was incorporated into Overland Park. Thanks for telling us about your first hand experience. PL
Posted by: CowgirlRed

Re: AA at midlife - 08/11/08 12:53 AM

Hello PL, You are welcome, I live on a ranch in south central Kansas in the Gyp Hills. I just went through the Overland Park area this summer on the way to Minnesota for a retreat. It is a big city. Been through some a mid-life transition that has turned out pretty well. I also claim Texas, Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming as places I've called home.

Terah
Posted by: greene

Re: AA at midlife - 08/14/08 01:17 PM

Cowgirl, you were so right about recovering from alcohol and reclaiming life. I drank from 54 - 58 years old and in the process of doing both these things.