I just posted a very interesting article by Dietician Dr. Janet Brill, who is NABBW's Healthy Heart Associate. It's called Salt: A Recipe to Help You Lower Intake to Lower Blood Pressure and Prevent Heart Disease. A long title for a very short article that includes a yummy recipe for Shrimp Diablo.

The article comes on the heels of another article she wrote related to current recommendations with regard to our recommended sodium intake.

That one's the New Salt Message: A Smoking Gun

In it, Brill states that:
Quote:
A recent expert committee report from the esteemed Institute of Medicine (IOM) stated that there was no reason for anyone to keep their sodium intake below 2,300 milligrams a day.

These new recommendations, which hit the airwaves in mid-May of this year, appear to refute decades of dietary wisdom and current advice.
Sounds like great news? Think again. This report is sure to have deadly consequences for the masses of Americans with unhealthy blood pressure levels.

She makes an interesting connection here:
Quote:
The IOM is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that commissioned an expert committee to evaluate current sodium recommendations at the request of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The committee studied the published literature through 2012 to identify relevant scientific publications on how sodium affects direct health outcomes, such as heart attacks, stroke and death–but not blood pressure levels.

(Note that the committee chose to exclude all data published before 2003 and that the first name on the reviewer list for the IOM report is: Dr. MICHAEL H. ALDERMAN, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, a consultant for the extremely powerful Salt Institute, a trade association dedicated to advocating the benefits of salt.)

The boldface is my addition, to highlight what looks like a significant conflict of interest to me.

I'm surprised the IOM would let this happen... and I just wanted to advise all of our BWS members with family members diagnosed with hypertension, or prehypertension, that they ought not to let down their guard when it comes to something as controllable as our salt intake.

So has anyone else heard about this change?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com