Who do you love more?

Posted by: chatty lady

Who do you love more? - 01/14/10 01:10 AM

Your grandchildren or your own children? Is there a difference do you think? I think there is a big difference.
Posted by: Di

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/14/10 03:18 AM

Not being either, I'd like to speak from what I see my husband experiences.

Just today he says, "I need a grandbaby fix". (We have not been with them since Sept.) He must "feel" something unique for those two little girls since he does not say that about friends' kids! 'Cause I do not recall him saying "I need a daughter fix"..before the babies. However, I'm sure he felt it!

Not sure about the love more/less..but I'm guessing it's just different.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/14/10 07:25 AM

Yes, there is a difference. Maybe because children are just ...cuter. And they are cuddley, give soft kisses and squeel with delight when they see you. My sons certainly don't do any of the above anymore. lol
I would say there is a very special connection between grandparents and grandchildren. But grandparents have to make it happen; it doesn't happen on its own.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/14/10 09:36 AM

I love them equally. One grew under my heart, the others did not but, live in my heart. My concerns for their present and future are the same. The difference is in authority. Since I am not the parent, I defer to my daughter. She has independent and direct decisions over my grandchildren. Since my daughter is a very young mother compared to me, she defers to my mothering.

The other difference is in attitude. I am not as strict with my grandchildren as I have been with my daughter. As much as I spoil them, my grandchildren do not love equally. They love their parents most, which is how it should be. A comforting thought because it shows I do not usurp their parents' place in their lives.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/14/10 11:41 AM

Of course I love my sons as much as my grandchildren. There is no difference for me either. I don't think I said that correctly in my last post.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/14/10 12:08 PM

That you love equally is already manifest in your other posts, EW. I think, as grandmothers, our outward demonstration of affection can sometimes seem to be that we love the grandchildren more. But, that is what it remains to be..."seem". In my case, I tolerate the little one's mischief more than I ever did with my daughter when she was little. She constantly says I roar with a little "r" with my grandchildren. My visiting sister tease that it's because I love the grandchildren more. Then, my sister gets a cuff in the ear from me.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/15/10 08:11 PM

I don't have 'blood' grandchildren...I have step-grandchildren and am the neighborhood 'mamaw'...but, I can tell you that I could not love these children more if they were my own blood. I have the love for my children as a Mother. I have the love of my grandchildren as Mamaw. I can't measure it or weigh it...I just feel it and it's love.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/17/10 02:53 PM

I love them equally. I love my son but I love his offspring just
as much! Baby and grandbabies own my unbounded love!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/17/10 06:07 PM

I don't have grandchildren so I can't compare. I don't think you love them more, I think you love them differently. I totally enjoy hearing all of you talk about your grands. It sounds like such a fun-loving relationship.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Who do you love more? - 01/18/10 02:46 PM

Agree. I'm not sure it's possible to love more than one loves
their child. Grandchildren are more fun; generally, you're not focused on making sure they do everything the way you think society expects. You've more time to play and enjoy the newest, reaction skill they've developed.