I Love Lucy

Posted by: Dotsie

I Love Lucy - 05/25/08 10:33 AM

I saw about ten minutes of I Love Lucy last night and two things struck me. Married people slept in separate beds, and a guy delivered groceries in a box and it cost $3.85. Now, the tip for someone to deliver your groceries is more than that.
Posted by: hotflashgal

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/25/08 12:16 PM

I caught some of the show last night too! I loved that show when I was little. Life seemed so simple then. Funny your mentioning groceries being delivered. Does anyone remember the milkman or better yet, house calls by doctors?
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/25/08 01:57 PM

Yup, the milkman came to our house with his little crate full of glass bottles. Honestly, though, I don't remember ever actually seeing him. He must have come very early, or maybe I was too young to notice or care.

K
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/25/08 05:44 PM

As hooky as it is in todays world, I still adore I Love Lucy and watch it when I want to feel good...and just laugh!

Dotsie the separate beds were because the censors would never allow showing people in the same bed. Those were the days of FAMILY TV... Not like todays filth...
Posted by: Saundra

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/25/08 09:22 PM

I have seen all the LUCYS a gazillion times. When I was growing up in Vancouver the milkman and the meatman delivered. All the kids followed the ice man in summer and scored chucks of ice. Our doctor made house calls, too. Those were the days and I'm so glad I have the memories.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/25/08 09:56 PM

I watch it as often as I can. I watch 3 or 4 episodes on the way to Disney as we always go on a Saturday and we travel JetBlue with the little tv's. I saw that one yesterday. I was babysitting Katie and we watched a few episodes together. She liked it. The thing I thought was odd was two boxes of groceries were $3.85 but she paid $49.50 for a hat! That was a lot of money then to pay for a hat. No wonder Ricky got mad at her
Posted by: Sadie

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/26/08 01:37 AM

Oh, Lousia ,
I love the I love Lucy Show so much . I saw the one yesterday and thought they were having a merathon of Lucy shows on yesterday . I love the show where they moved to West Port New York and her and Ethel bought those chichen eggs so they could have eggs to sell later . That was so funny .

Renee
Posted by: yonuh

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/26/08 07:56 PM

I loved the one with the chocolates on the conveyer belt and the vegameatavitamin tonic that she was doing a commercial for. She had to keep taking a spoonful because she couldn't get the lines right and ended up drunk as a skunk!

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/26/08 10:19 PM

and when she baked the bread, put in too much yeast and the huge loaf came out of the oven and knocked her down.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/27/08 12:14 AM

Oh that baked bread one was so funny and it grew long and longer out of the oven . How about the time Lucy and Ethel bought all that meat and that very large freeze and Lucy got locked in the freezer . LOL
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/27/08 09:06 AM

To say Lucy was a comedic genius would be an understatement. Look how long the show has lasted and now our grandkids are enjoying it as well... My favorite was when she got drunk selling that vega-something vitamin drink. Anyone else seen her familys home movies, they are also wonderful to see.
Posted by: jabber

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/27/08 01:08 PM

Dotsie,
I still watch I Love Lucy. The Lucy/Desi Museum isn't far from my home. I delivered milk with my dad all the while I grew up. And the family doctor made house calls. Those were the days, my friend!

As Chatty said, "I Love Lucy" was comic genius.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/27/08 02:11 PM

chatty, veeta, vita, vegamin! I remember that! My daughter likes the show too.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/27/08 10:12 PM

What about the grape/wine stomping one. I love that one, too!
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/28/08 06:12 AM

She and Ricky were married, right? Did they ever get divorced? Are they still alive? Anyone know?
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/28/08 08:36 AM

Interesting facts about them:
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/A/htmlA/arnazdesi/arnazdesi.htm
They both died in the late 80's...they were divorced in 1960 after 20 years of marriage. They still ar one fun memory of my childhood!

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/28/08 10:44 AM

He liked the showgirls. does anyone remember the movie they made called the Long Long Trailer? I have it on VHS! (I've had it a while:) It is one of the funniest movies. They had two children, Desi Arnaz Jr. who used to have a band. He never really got far. Lucy Arnaz is their daughter. She became an actress. I think the movie I liked her best in was the remake of The Jazz Singer. Actually the one with Lucy Arnaz and Neil Diamond was a remake of the one with Danny Thomas which was a remake of the one with Al Jolson.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/28/08 01:25 PM

LJ,
Thanks. I enjoyed reading about my idol.
Louisa,
I think the "Long, Long Trailer" was one of the funniest movies ever filmed. Neither of their offspring measured up to mom and dad. But then again, no one else has, either!

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/28/08 03:16 PM

I need a good laugh. The Long Long Trailer?..I'm going to see if I can get it on a German DVD.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/28/08 09:41 PM

Jabber, every time I watch it, I laugh and laugh. You would think you wouldn't since you've seen it over and over, but I think it's so funny. No one compares to them. Not even Burns and Allen. They were funny but in a dry sort of way.

Edelweiss, see if you can get it. It's so funny. It's an old one though.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/28/08 10:50 PM

Here's a link to I Love Lucy DVDs at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_9c2p5idt9r_b

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/29/08 02:41 AM

I love the movie the Long Long Trailer . I remember Mom and I went to see the movie and just got laugh . How about when that horrible rain storm and Ricky had to jack the trailer up and the trailer door flew open and she fell out into the mud . That was so funny and all those rocks she collected on the trip . That was the best movie and I think they made one more movie after that and forgot the name of it .

Louisa do you remember the other movie they made together and that was their last one .

Renee

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/29/08 06:08 AM

Thanks for the link Dotsie. The European DVD players aren’t the same as those from the US, so I have to see if the DVD is on the European market. It isn’t. Got to wait till I’m at my brother’s house and rent it out.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/29/08 11:08 AM

When are you going to your brothers in Boston?

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/29/08 11:29 PM

Forever Darling, Too Many Girls and the Long, Long Trailer were the 3 they made together.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/30/08 06:24 AM

Dotsie, I wanted to plan flying to the States according to the Boomer meet. But if it's in March 2009, I won't be coming, because that is a bad time for him too, I really would like to combine meeting with you gals (hopefully in the Fall 2009)and seeing my brother.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/30/08 10:53 AM

EW, you and I can meet pretty much any time you come to visit your brother. We must try to do this the next time.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/30/08 11:33 AM

Oh yes Louisa! You know this time I won’t miss us meeting!

We could do some art galleries together, or I could come to your writing group!!!! I’ll be the big secret guest star from Germany…the “poor-pulse” winning author of ….HOW I CAN’T WRITE A BOOK!

And I would love to meet with Jane as well. Maybe we three could meet in Maine?

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/30/08 01:26 PM

The wine stomping; the chocolate factory; the sunburn/fashion show routine; the mink coat; the buttermilk; the show where Ricky didn't know she was pregnant with little Ricky and Lucy went to his nightclub.
I've seen 'em all a dozen times and when I need a good laugh, I tune-in "I Love Lucy!" Old Town Kissimmee has a retro store with Lucy items; and, so does Disney World, naturally.

Re: I Love Lucy - 05/31/08 12:56 AM

EW, You just can't be this close from so far away and us not meet the next time.

Jabber, I've been to the Disney one. Universal has a big Lucy store. I went there last Nov. And, I have a picure of me standing next to her in the wax museum in Vegas too.