Valentine's Day

Posted by: Dotsie

Valentine's Day - 02/10/06 07:12 PM

When your hubby or beau asks what you want for Valentine's Day, what are you going to say?
Posted by: ladybug

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/10/06 07:18 PM

Probably the same thing I say every year, "nothing" and hope he knows he should come up with "something." [Big Grin]
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/11/06 02:51 AM

My husband probably won't buy me anything for valentines day. He surprises me with gifts and flowers at randon times, but he's not big on celebrating designated gift giving occassions. This used to bother me a lot, but it doesn't anymore.

My present this V-day is to have him here to share it with me. Last year he was in the hospital, and I wasn't sure we would HAVE another Valentines Day together. So I'm counting myself lucky and happy.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/11/06 02:58 AM

We're skipping it this year as we'll be on the road, headed for our new home. That will be our valentine to each other.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/11/06 04:07 AM

NHJackie, having him there to hold and to hold you does sound like the greatest gift of all...

Ladybug instead of playing the 'nothing' game why not say when he asks, "use your imagination." I have gotten some of my best gifts saying that...

Still laughing Suzieq at your post, maybe this will be helpful to some young men...personally I'd have to see the wisdom (?) being offered before forming a conclusion... [Big Grin]

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/11/06 04:40 AM

He's pretty good at the gift giving and if Rob's with him he'll give him some ideas too.

I sometimes feel selfish or greedy wanting anything at all when I think about some of the really wonderful women I know whose husbands are dimwitted in this department.
Posted by: JustMe2006

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/11/06 08:14 AM

My husband never asks. He has always given me beautiful, loving cards, flowers, chocolate heart and dinner out which is very nice. I usually just get him a nice card and perhaps chocolate too. He is so hard to buy for! This year I picked up a Rolling Stone CD with great hits which I think he'll enjoy! Looking forward to it since lately we have been at each other's throat! LOL........

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/11/06 07:37 PM

Justme2006, my husband is hard to buy for too. He had a stroke last March so he can't be eating too much of that chocolate I use to buy him for Valentines Day and he's still got the chocolate covered cherries I put in his Christmas stocking.

I'll have to think of something else and quick. I'm baking an angel food cake in a heart-shaped pan and frosting it with a strawberry topping. I get the two kids something too and I have a few decorations up.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/06 08:32 AM

My husband doesn't "believe" in Valentine's Day because he says it's a commercially made up holiday. It's not "meant" for anything. I used to try and change his mind, but we've been together so long now that I just go with the flow.

I buy him a card and we share some chocolates, but that's about it. I usually make him is favorite dinner or a favorite dessert and we spend the day together.

So, I guess we do celebrate in a way, just not in the usual flowers and hearts kind of way.

This year we're celebrating on Sunday, instead of Tuesday because hubby's got a tennis game on Tuesday and we've got a meeting on Monday. So, we'll be getting extra romantic on Sunday. :-)
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/11/06 10:59 PM

Chuck actually wanted to take me out to dinner on Valentine's Day this year. That was really sweet, because eating out is something he really doesn't enjoy since his surgery last year. Anyway, turns out he has to drive someone to an appointment that will end too late for us to fit dinner in before the meeting we have that night. We've been invited to join a Cancer Survivor's Support group and decided we really want to do that rather than dinner. There will be plenty of love there, I'm sure!

Last year was the first year I didn't bake a cake in the heart shaped pans that were my mothers. She used to bake one evey year when I was a kid. I'm ambivilant about making one this year, with just the two of us to eat it. I suppose I could freeze some or invite some friends to share.

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/06 12:31 AM

I think however one celebrates or doesn't celebrate Valentines Day is up to them and that's all that should count.

Sweetest Day is supposed to be a big deal in the Cleveland area. One of the big greeting card companies here in this area came up with the idea for this holiday. For years I tried to get my husband to incorporate this "new holiday" into our lives but to no avail. He insisted, and he was right that the only people benefitting from that holiday were the card and candy companies.

[ February 11, 2006, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]
Posted by: JustMe2006

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/13/06 02:22 AM

Good for your Suzieq! Can't wait to hear what he came up with. Here's a quick joke: Wife says.."I want to find my special gift on the driveway that goes up to 200." On that special day she finds..........guess what?...a scale. I hope he wasn't a scientist. =o)

[ February 12, 2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: JustMe2006 ]

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/13/06 04:14 AM

Suzieq you are to be congratulated for your winning challenge, you go girl and I hope he knocks your socks off....LOL [Roll Eyes]

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/13/06 07:18 PM

suzie, great idea! Very thoughtful.

justme, too funny! I think I'd have to smack him. Not really, but you know what I mean!
Posted by: Di

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/13/06 07:28 PM

Well, DH already bought me a set of pots/pans and a pressure cooker so I'm calling it good! I'm telling those who ask that those are my gifts!
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/16/06 08:39 AM

When I woke up yesterday morning, my husband had put dozens of those valentine stick-on's all around the house. He got up early and did it all before he went to work while I was still asleep.

They were on all the windows, mirrors and the shower doors. Everywhere I looked, there was a sweet message on a sticky Valentine. There was even one on my computer screen.

He definitely outdid himself this year. Last night he took my daughter, my granddaughter and I to dinner then we came home for some us time.

What a guy!!

smile

P.S. I wrote him, my daughters, my step daughter, my mother, and my mother in law original poems and put them in homemade valentines.

[ February 15, 2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/16/06 04:18 AM

Well Suzieq it sounds like your chemist husband whipped up quite a concoction for your pleasure on Valentines Day. Its amazing what these men can do when they put their minds to it. Happiness to you both on your class together, how cool is that!!! [Wink]

Well Smile we always knew what a sweetie your Dan is and here is yet another example of his love, caring and devotion to you. What a guy!! I want to thank you so much for my Valentine Day surprise, the beautiful pink stone frame & candle holders....and my special poem! [Big Grin]

I also want to thank a special boomer friend that totally knocked my socks off with an unexpected surprise...the minature rose bush is doing wonderful, another new bloom today and don't tell my diet partners Smile and JJ but I ate 3 pieces of those yummy chocolates....hugs Nancy, and thank you so much. [Razz]

[ February 15, 2006, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/17/06 08:33 AM

I promise not to "Tell on you" Chatty....your secret is safe with me...I am glad you are enjoying everything (((Big Hug)))

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/17/06 08:50 AM

suzie, I like the idea of the gift that allows you to do soemthing together!

smile, what a honey. I like your idea of writing your own Valentine's.

My husband always writes poems for his employees on their birthdays. They're simple and always begin with roses are red, violets are blue. Very silly, but if he forgets, they get upset.

Chatty, glad to hera you were surrounded by love. And look at that...you're single!

Ross made reservations for us to have dinner. The night before, our son announced that he'd like to go with us. So Ross asked our daughter if she wanted to go. She in turn, calle dher boyfriend and invited his. So the five of us had a nice Valentine's dinner together. It was perfectly fine with me. This time next year they may be away at college.

Ross and I have been talking about doing a study for Christian couples. For Valentine's Day he gave me a book and workbook for us to begin. I was so touched. He took it with him on his guy's fishing trip so he can get the hang of it. We're going to start when he gets home. Oh, he also gave me a Kenny Chesney CD. I'm such a sap for his lyrics.

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/17/06 04:33 AM

Dotsie can't you just picture Ross and his fishing pals trying those workouts together just for fun, if only you could be a fly on that wall....plenty of laughs there...LOL

After posting all those recipe choices for the BWS ladies for Valentines Day I had my son, grandson and DIL over for dinner. We had a grand time as always...

Nancy, three more buds are almost totally open, what a hardy little rose bush this is...wow!

[ February 16, 2006, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]