The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12835 - 10/28/04 10:38 PM Beautiful Women's Month
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck

(written after she found out she was dying from cancer).

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner." There would have been more "I love you's." More "I'm sorry's."

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it .. live it .and never give it back. Stop sweating the small stuff.

Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what.

Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.

Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with. And what we are doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, emotionally. I hope you all have a blessed day.

Beautiful Women's Month

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Queen.

Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.

Age 15: She looks at herself and sees an Ugly Sister (Mum I can't go to school looking like this!)

Age 20: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"- but decides she's going out anyway.

Age 30: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly" - but decides she doesn't have time to fix it, so she's going out anyway.

Age 40: She looks at herself and sees "clean" and goes out anyway.

Age 50: She looks at herself and sees "I am" and goes wherever she wants to go.

Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.

Age 70: She looks at herself &sees wisdom, laughter and ability, goes out and enjoys life.

Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and goes out to have fun with the world.

#12836 - 10/29/04 03:20 AM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I loved Erma Bomback . I have read this before and sent to friends . How true is this ? Somewhat I say.

Thanks, Nancy

#12837 - 10/29/04 05:14 AM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
It's always good to be reminded of our MANY blessings! Thanks for sharing this!

#12838 - 10/29/04 05:15 AM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Erma is my idol. Erma and Lewis Grizzard. I would love to think I could come close to either one in their style. A friend and I were just saying today that there will never be another Erma. And you know...that's kinda nice knowing she'll never be replaced. You think?

JJ

#12839 - 10/29/04 09:39 AM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Erma Bombeck wrote such wonderful columns, funny and full of truth. I've seen this piece several times before and it never fails to move me.

#12840 - 10/29/04 06:02 PM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I agree there is no replacing Erma but Jawjaw, you are just as endearing, in your writing, in your own way. I love reading your posts.

#12841 - 10/29/04 06:31 PM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
ahhhh now....go on with ya! No, I mean it...go on with ya...I love these kudos! hahaha... [Big Grin]

I'm only joshn' girl...thank you for those kind words...I doubt my crown will fit now!
[Eek!]

JJ

#12842 - 10/29/04 11:52 PM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Erma was a wonder....she had her finger on the pulse of so many things. JJ you are indeed a blessing for those of us who loved to read Erma's words of wisdom because you are SOOOO like her in more ways than one.

Bet that crown's getting tighter by the second huh??? [Eek!] [Eek!]

#12843 - 10/30/04 01:00 AM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
I agree JawJaw, I love reading your posts and laughing. We will miss Erma but we are so happy to have you.
Maggie

#12844 - 10/30/04 04:43 AM Re: Beautiful Women's Month
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
There will never be another Erma. She was wonderful.

But JJ is OUR queen and there won't ever be another of her either. She's as funny as your neighbor's pants falling down and she's as cute as a new born chicken, she's as sweet as Christmas pie and as queenly as a summo wrestler in drag.
She's the best.
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved