The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 44 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#150853 - 06/13/08 11:04 AM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dee, I laughed when I saw your comment, you hate WHATEVER...it drives you nuts...have you seen the new commercial for Verizon where the Dad is trying to be "cool" like his daughter and says, "whatEV" (pronounced what"EVF")? That cracks me up.

#150855 - 06/13/08 06:38 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: ]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
I had to laugh at the "whatever." One of my kids does this "whatever" thing...makes some type of hand gesture against her face, rolls her eyes, and "whaaaaaaaaaaatEVerrrrrrrrrr" mom.

The "no problem" thing seems to be more of a matter of manners. I was raised to say (and raised my kids this way as well) to say "please," "thank you," "no thank you," and "you are welcome." They generally do that but I have encountered many people who just don't use "you are welcome."

The whole language thing is humorous but it drives me batty cause I feel some days like I speak a different language than these 20something year old young guys. Needing an "urban dictionary" so I can communicate with these guys is well, a unique job requirement! I did go home and verified that my Webster's did not contain that word too.

Ah I guess too many years of scientific and technical editing. I have to "get with it!" Dotsie, I never would have guessed it meant "ridiculous." I guess in the context it was in, it made sense. But it is so hard for me after all of these years working with specific, precise, scientific or technical words to think beyond that box!!!!

Edited by keyholes (06/13/08 06:44 PM)

#150856 - 06/13/08 10:54 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: keyholes]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have a bad habit (or is it?) of saying, "you bet" when someone thanks me for something. Or...youbetcha....I picked it up from some of my Yankee friends...oh Lordy, what is this world coming to? LOL!

#150857 - 06/13/08 11:24 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I have to echo the comments about "whatever". Who can decipher when "whatever" actually means anything useful? Years ago we were taking my teenage Godson and his brother out for supper. We gave them the choice of several restaurants but their only response was "whatever"...it was frustrating trying to get any direct answer from them. Finally hubby chose the restaurant that he thought my Godson would enjoy the most, but I told them later that if they ever "whatever'ed" an invitation from us again, we'd turn right around and take them back home and never invite them out again. I don't think I've heard either of them use that word with us since then!

(Maya Angelou)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved