Di, I don't have any kids either. It was my choice. My cats are my children. My third husband, a keeper, is allergic to dogs. So when my dogs passed, I didn't get anymore. Wow, you were young when you lost your mom. That must have been so horribly difficult. What about Dad? Who/what is DH? Is this short for....?

I miss my mommy sometimes too, although I've been fortunate enough to have her all these years. She's 87. But she has dimentia and is not the person she used to be. Dad's been gone 22 years. This year I miss him more than usual, I think because my sister passed in June.

My husband and I do not celebrate the holidays, except what we need to do for our mothers. There have been so many tragedies in my life that it took it all out of me. My sweetheart died 17 years ago a couple of weeks before Christmas. Dad loved Christmas. So when I hear the Christmas songs in the stores it bring in the sadness. I too am glad when it's over, and people stop talking about it. Some feelings I just can't get back.

Chick, wow seven years to the hour, and you lost your dad at this time of year. At least a triple whammy including the anniverary thing.

My aunt Lottie who was about 85 when she said this, once said, "When you don't have your momma what do you have?" She was a strong woman with a twinkle in her eyes. She faced everything really well and yet she missed her momma a lot.

This kind of thing reinforces the need for us all to get along and love each other - even those, maybe especially those we have never met. We are all in the together.

Please, take a piece of my heart and use it to comfort your own,

Vi

[ December 26, 2005, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Vi ]