The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 49 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#159325 - 09/09/08 07:20 PM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vicki, just curious...does your insurance cover this? I'm just wondering because if it doesn't, could you get the results you want from a gym and a trainer? Seems it might be less expensive. Yes? No?

#159327 - 09/09/08 07:41 PM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Vicki, hon, I think this is great. We all should feel good about ourselves and if this is preventing you from doing that, it will be theraputic as well and cosmetic! You sound as if you will allow yourself to enjoy life more, like going to the beach, etc! Hooray.

Your surgeon is key. I've had SO many sugeries in my life, I've lost count. It is all in the surgeon. Meet the surgeon and if there is one iota of mistrust on your part, seek another surgeon.

Other good tips are that a surgeon is on top of his game in the early morning surgeries. Surgeons love to operate and when they come in for the day they are ready and able and wired! ( I know this from my close friend, a doctor.)
Look that surgeon in the eye and ask:
Will you stay with me throughout this procedure no matter what?
If the surgeon promises this, he/she must keep her word and make sure you are fine throughout your healing or in any case! Bond with your surgeon, and try to break through that sort of dissociation that surgeons have.

Have a great surgery and congratulations on a "me," decision that is good for you!
We all need to make those from time to time, if not every day!

I'm proud to know you!

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#159332 - 09/09/08 08:01 PM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know two women who have had breast reductions. While it's not the same, it's similar. They are never turning back. They said it's been life changing. They feel so much better about themselves and that goes a long way in my book.

Research, research.

#159349 - 09/09/08 09:28 PM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Personally, I would never have elective cosmetic surgery because of the risks involved. If you already know you have issues with anesthesia, then it seems even more risky.

If you choose to do this, I wish you well, honestly. Most insurance companies don't cover elective surgery; are you paying for this yourself?

Good luck with whatever you decide!!
K

#159353 - 09/09/08 10:20 PM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Definitely not covered by my insurance.

I'm doing lots of research. And, I'm going to be going on consultations so will be meeting each surgeon to get a good feel for each one of them. Won't be meeting with any surgeon that isn't board certified.

JJ. This isn't something that can be toned up with exercise. It's a flab of skin and tummy muscle that hangs from the hips and tummy. No amount of exercise will ever make it go away.

http://www.climiami.com/tummy.html

Here's a site that has some before and after pictures of what it looks like.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#159439 - 09/10/08 06:46 PM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Dear Vicki,
Don't worry so much about "going under."
The anesthesiologist of today have almost a no-brainer job.
Because of so many problems in the past, the machines are so calibrated towards no accidents that they only have to watch! Some read!
You will meet the anesthesiologist and you can directly ask him to stay awake!
I've been "under," as I've stated, from childhood on SO many times that I've seen the technology change over time and I have also said that my close friend is a doctor, and a good one, who explained it to me.
Again, good luck and anesthesia could not be safer now..
The only concern, and the doctor will check you, is if you have problems getting oxygen in your daily life!
Dancer, good luck!

"Question your privilege"

#159518 - 09/11/08 07:20 AM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: dancer9]
AdornmentsMilani Offline

Loc: California
I've heard the same thing about the morning surgeries that Dancer mentioned. Also, that it's best to schedule early in the week as opposed to Thurs or Fri. And don't forget to check the surgeon's license w/ your state's dept of consumer affairs.

#159532 - 09/11/08 03:04 PM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: AdornmentsMilani]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Dander and Adornments, thanks for the anesthesia comments. I've heard about getting surgery scheduled in mornings is a good thing. I've had surgeries before, but always "locals"... no generals, I haven't had a general since I was 41 and had my gallbladder and ovaries taken out. The anesth. dr. was really helpful then and explained it all to me. I can only imagine that technology has gotten better and better.

So far, it's between my husband taking helicopter instruction lessons and my surgery. Hmm.. which will win out?
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#160701 - 09/23/08 03:31 PM Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: Vicki M. Taylor
Definitely not covered by my insurance.

I'm doing lots of research. And, I'm going to be going on consultations so will be meeting each surgeon to get a good feel for each one of them. Won't be meeting with any surgeon that isn't board certified.

JJ. This isn't something that can be toned up with exercise. It's a flab of skin and tummy muscle that hangs from the hips and tummy. No amount of exercise will ever make it go away.

http://www.climiami.com/tummy.html

Here's a site that has some before and after pictures of what it looks like.

My abdominal "spillover" is worse than any of the pictures shown in the link. The women in our family have really soft tissue and the abdominal excess seems genetic..... I hate constantly wearing dark colored bottoms and tunic tops to disguise my protrusive abdomen. But then, I think there are far worse things in life to deal with physically.

I'm not going to have an elective surgical procedure, because as a nurse I took care of these women post operatively and do not want to put myself through that. Plus, I'm not a big fan of most elective surgeries period. That's just me.

I think you'll be best equipped to make an informed decision once you interview and research several board certified physicians, find one you are comfortable with, and find out about the anesthesiologist who would be providing that service(since you have allergies and it is VITAL to check them out beforehand.)

Good luck with whatever decision you make. PS: Since people with extensive girth have an increased risk of certain health problems, is it possible your insurance company would cover the cost if your physician says the procedure is an absolute necessity for health reasons? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved