The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#173676 - 02/04/09 10:33 PM Re: Getting a complex [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
OMG...Orchid your post reminded me of my poor mother. ironing even his shorts, undershirts and work hankies, plus everything possible. My father was a demanding tyrant as well where my mother was concerned.

If one of my husbands ever insisted I ironed everything, his tongue would be the first place he'd feel the 'hot' iron. I remember when my first husband came home from the army and we met. I said 'oh good, you were in the army so you know how to iron." And that was that!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#173690 - 02/05/09 01:30 AM Re: Getting a complex [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I remember my Mom ironing everything, too. I iron maybe twice a year, if that. That's why they came up with wrinkleproof clothes, isn't it? smile
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#173698 - 02/05/09 03:03 AM Re: Getting a complex [Re: yonuh]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
OK, I agree that ironing is a necessary part of sewing. I used to love to sew, but hated to iron the seams. But I would do it as part of the process. I had an iron in my hands since I was 7-8 years old. Mom said, "Dad likes his collars pressed. Make sure there is a crease in the sleeves. Don't forget to press the yoke." We ironed aprons! I saw "The Reader" yesterday. In one scene, Hannah, the main character, is ironing her bra. That will be the day. I can't believe that the first half of my 20 year marriage I ironed my husband's shirts/pants on my day off, while he was playing racquetball.

#173699 - 02/05/09 03:04 AM Re: Getting a complex [Re: Poppie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
By the way Poppie, it is so nice to see you here! thanks for popping in. I appreciate it. Lots of love to you xxoo Lynn

#173708 - 02/05/09 08:10 AM Re: Getting a complex [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I iron most of my clothes -- but never underwear or sheets, and never anything of Hubbo's.

Poet and essayist

#173747 - 02/05/09 12:52 PM Re: Getting a complex [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I remember Mom ironing while she watched her soaps. She had a little sprinkle bottle that one of my cousins made for all her aunts one Christmas. She spray painted a bottle and stuck a little cork sprinkler in the top. I was so impressed. What a hoot.

I have a friend whose father did all the ironing in their house. They had a fridge in the basement where he stoed everything he ironed. I'd never seen that before and never have since.

#173758 - 02/05/09 02:07 PM Re: Getting a complex [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
If you take items out of the dryer as soon as they're dry, then they don't wrinkle that much. But if they're rolled 'n piled a long time, then some of them need a touch up, IMO. But it isn't like the olden days when grandma and mom stood for hours and ironed our school clothes. When I was a kid I watched mom and gram iron family outfits for a half a day. Gosh, those ladies worked hard!

#173759 - 02/05/09 03:09 PM Re: Getting a complex [Re: jabber]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I iron everything, except underwear and sheets. As a kid, I had to do the ironing as soon as I was tall enough to reach the ironing board. I remember those sprinkle bottles, Dotsie. You could buy the sprinkle top at any hardware or dime store. It seemed they fit on the top of any empty soda bottle. Also, we would sprinkle the clothes down after they were dried and roll them up; place them in the clothes basket or bag for ironing later in the day. Anybody else do that?

#173806 - 02/05/09 07:53 PM Re: Getting a complex [Re: ]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Anne327
Cookie, don't you get tired of ironing? Isn't there something else you'd rather be doing? Or do you really not mind doing it?

Anne, just like most other domestic chores, ironing has been a part of my life for so long, I don't give it much thought.

#173807 - 02/05/09 07:57 PM Re: Getting a complex [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Me too Cookie, I use to stand on a chair in the basement to help my mom do the ironing. She too sprinkled the clothes, rolled tham for ironing later that day. EVERYTHING was hung on the clothesline, we had no dryer in our house. I can't remember what we did in the Indiana winters? Think I'll call my mom and ask her.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved