The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 135 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#193009 - 11/01/09 03:15 PM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anne, we reposrted it to the person who recommended that agency to us, just so they wouldn't recommend the agancy to anyone else. That's all we did. During that time we were realizing that the 24 hour care was not the best way to go because my FIL didn't want all the strangers in his home caring for him.

Advocate for yourself. Get that vacation. I imagine soem of the problem is people get use to their caregiver and don't want to have to get adjusted to another person.

#193071 - 11/02/09 09:16 PM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Anne, gosh, I wish you could find another job!

#193076 - 11/02/09 09:56 PM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: ]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Anne,I think I mentioned this once before,...but maybe I just thought it...

I would think there are many well to do people looking for one care giver to care for their old parent/ parents. They may even provide a car, transportations costs, and give you a good salary.

#193081 - 11/02/09 11:34 PM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: Edelweiss3]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Anne, we have only hired privately for our care givers. While we don't give them any insurance benefits, we do treat them with utmost respect and give one paid week a year. Also, it allows lots of flexibility for the gals.

I don't know what you are getting paid, but when we looked into agencies, we found out that we would be paying double, but the caregiver was actually only getting half of that money. I figured we might as well go the direct route.

We have hired through barefootstudent and craigslist, but there are many others out there too, that let you either run and ad or answer to an ad.

Good luck. You deserve so much more.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#193095 - 11/03/09 02:35 AM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Anne, I looked all over for someone who would come in full time to care for my sister and couldn't find anyone, and I was paying $12.00 per hour plus 3 delicious meals I cooked myself. I bet there are many people with someone in house that needs constant care. Why not advertise? Use a friends number so the agency doesn't get wind of your looking.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#193113 - 11/03/09 02:34 PM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anno, we hired through an agency, paid the money, and had someone steal from us. As I guess you've learned, there are still no guarantees with an agency.

#193114 - 11/03/09 02:34 PM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chattu, your three meals could be the selling card. People totally appreciate being fed. That's another savings for them.

#193137 - 11/03/09 07:35 PM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: ]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Well, it sounds like you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

#193149 - 11/03/09 10:09 PM Re: I would really like to scream! [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Anne, have you thought of working for the VA?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved