OK, am I off base with this?

A couple of weeks ago, I’d gone to visit the BF. Our only “date night” was Saturday, due to his work schedule.

He got home Saturday evening and I was about half way done with the hot iron on my hair (it is very curly otherwise). We greeted and kissed, then I said “why don’t you have a seat and tell me about your day while I finish this?” (there is a chair just outside the bathroom). Then I added, “I may need you to tell me if I’ve missed any spots in the back, I have a hard time seeing that part.” His comment was “what look are you going for, rats next or the dog has been sleeping in it all night?”

I didn’t like that comment, so I laughed and closed the bathroom door, saying “OK, you can’t watch me do my hair.”

He got mad and went upstairs and turned on the tv. The rest of the night wasn’t very good, he was obviously irritated with me. He drank more than usual and there was no affection/hand holding or anything for the rest of the night (or the next morning).

Next day he said he was only kidding and I shouldn’t have gotten mad. Told him I wasn’t mad, but didn’t like to be teased like that. He sometimes confides in his female neighbor, so I told him to ask her about it. He said nah, he didn’t want to do that. He also said he didn’t want to have to walk on eggs and worry about offending me by saying the wrong thing.

I don’t think he had any right to be miffed. It’s not like I was angry, I really did just laugh and close the door. (but after the door was closed, I DID think "what a jerk, that wasn't nice.")

Let me add that he has “never” said anything disparaging to me before, he’s always been my best cheerleader no matter what.

How would you have handled it?

WW