The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#33497 - 05/06/06 03:48 AM Re: effexor
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well Mother Mystic either the drug is dangerous or it causes the taker of the drug to be dangerous...your poor husband!!! I just love when these dam doctors use of as guinea pigs to test their drugs.

#33498 - 05/09/06 10:31 AM Re: effexor
coffeemom Offline

Wow! This is a very interesting discussion. I've been on Effexor XR for about 2 years. Here is what I've noticed:

1. It did help the depression. I still get depressed at times, but not the feeling that I just want to cry over everything or not want to get out of bed in the morning.
2. I've noticed that if I don't take it at the same time every morning that I get terrible migraine-like headaches that are very hard to get rid of.
3. I've also gained weight, but I didn't realize it was the Effexor. I thought it was one antidepressant that didn't cause weight gain.
4. It is very hard to go off of. You have to do it gradually and go by the doctors instructions or you will have all kinds of mood swings and side effects.

It's hard to deal with depression because of the side effects of these antidepressants. My doctor said mine is a chemical imbalance in my brain. It's not because of any past problems. I had a happy family growing up.

Also, is unfounded guilt a side-effect of depression? I have a feeling of guilt almost all the time, even though I'm not doing anything wrong.

For example, if I don't spend enough time with my family or if I don't have a productive enough day, I feel guilty. That just adds to the depression.

Thanks for letting me unload!

#33499 - 05/09/06 05:09 PM Re: effexor
Mother Mystic Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I've read elsewhere (but forgot exactly where, sorry) that Effexor has the shortest half-life of any of the antidepressants, which is why some people get migraines if you don't take it at the same time every day. I used to get shaky, like I was over caffeinated if I was late in taking my dose. Interesting also, none of the SSRI antidepressants have been tested for use over a yaar, only for short term.
I think my depression is due more to having a chronic illness (I suffered from Lyme disease for 5 yrs, plus spinal problems), situational issues (divorce, child custody issues, poverty) than a chemical imbalance. I rarely feel depressed, unless it's a bad pain day for me and not being able to do things I want makes me depressed and guilty. Anxiety is my major problem and I'm come to believe there is no drug solution for that. Good luck with your guilty feelings Coffee Mom, but go easy on yourself. We're not all Wonder Woman! I think a lot of women's guilt comes from what I call Donna Reed Syndrome, somewhere back in our minds we think we have to do it all and do it perfectly.

Bear in mind, you never know the effect you have on other people. Even if you didn't get to polish the silver (or whatever project) that day, you might have made a remark or done one small thing that changed one person's life for the better forever! Little things mean a lot!

Susan

#33500 - 05/09/06 06:45 PM Re: effexor
coffeemom Offline

Thank you, Susan, for the kind words. It makes a lot of sense!

I hope things are going better for you, too. Hopefully, these issues are getting straightened out in a good way for you.

[ May 09, 2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: coffeemom ]

#33501 - 05/10/06 04:40 PM Re: effexor
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
coffee, I was raised catholic and we were taught guilt. Also taught many good things too, but guilt was thrown right in there.

I have worked at this for years and it helps to be intentional about NOT FEELING GUILTY. We are worthy of doing what we want and don't have to feel guilty when we do soemthing for ourselves instead of others ALL the time.

There's a great book I recommend:

When I Say No I Feel Guilty. I read it years ago and still remember the title so that tells you something about the book.

#33502 - 05/11/06 03:04 AM Re: effexor
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dotsie,
I was not brought up Catholic, but like about everyone else I know, I caught the guilt bug early.

I felt guilty for things I did wrong, things I thought about doing, things I really half wanted to do, but never did, things I hadn't done or even thought of yet, and things I didn't do enough of. Lots of things.

Most of my life I fought it and it only made it worse. But then I came to realize that guilt can be a good thing. Kind of like you posted on another topic about grief, I had to give myself time to feel it and go through it. I stopped fighting it and asked for forgiveness from anyone I had hurt and from my God. I knew exactly when I was forgiven. I know it's a cliche, but it was as if a weight had been lifted and I was free. I do that again whenever I am innundated with guilt.

Psychiatrists can tell you you're not guilty and give you drugs. You can tell yourself you're not guilty, and you can cram the guilt down inside. You can know full well your guilt is undeserved. But until you allow yourself to feel the guilt, repent, and are forgiven by God, you still feel guilty.

The value of guilt is that it guides us to be better people and it can be the beginning of the repentance that leads to forgiveness and redemption.

smile

[ May 10, 2006, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#33503 - 05/11/06 06:34 AM Re: effexor
coffeemom Offline

Dotsie & Smile,

A lot of good things to think about here. Dotsie, the book sounds good. I think I'll try to get a hold of that. Some churches can be very legalistic and they don't stress enough of God's love and forgiveness. The church I grew up in was somewhat like this. I do have to say, however, that it kept me straight. And for that I'm thankful.

Smile, I also agree with you. I think we first have to weed out whether there is a need to feel guilty. Because no psychiatrist can get to the root of the problem if it is sin. They can only treat the symptoms. Only Christ can take away the sin.

#33504 - 05/12/06 12:29 AM Re: effexor
Dotsie Offline
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:

The value of guilt is that it guides us to be better people and it can be the beginning of the repentance that leads to forgiveness and redemption.

smile [/QB]

Great quote smile. Makes perfect sense.

#33505 - 05/12/06 12:31 AM Re: effexor
Dotsie Offline
Founder

coffeemom, just so you know, I couldn't open your site when I clicked on the link above.

#33506 - 05/12/06 03:19 AM Re: effexor
coffeemom Offline

Hi Dotsie,

I know. I'm in the process of trying to fix it. I installed PHPNuke, and somehow pointed the url to it. Now I can't figure out how to point it back to my index page.

Thanks!

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved