Anne,
I had an interesting e-mail from a visitor to my website, concerning my featuring of Jack Holland's work, Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice. She asked if I didn't think the subject matter of the book was outdated. Do we not, she queried, as women in our modern society, enjoy an equal standing with our male counterparts? She went on to state, that 'as western women, we have more rights today than ever before in the history of the world'. She stated that she believes 'controversial works such as Mr. Holland's do nothing more than attempt to fan the sparks of the dying gender bias debate/hostilities into flames of discontent'. 'We have', she further stated, 'put the struggle behind us. We are moving on, in the modern world, where men and women are now in accord, as to the fact of woman's equal importance, and right to be treated with respect. The majority of men in this country (United States) support women’s' rights and view us as equals'.

The first, and possibly most important fact to point out here, is this woman's omission of any statements concerning our sisters not residing in the western world. Interesting. From this I take it I am to assume, it is only females residing in the west, whose status is of any importance. A bit of the old, 'It's better for us, and that's all that matters!’ attitude.

As to Jack Holland's work not being timely, and relevant, in today's society, I fiercely disagree! How can one imagine we 'have put the struggle behind us', when we have proof to the contrary, yet evident, in every aspect of our society? Does anyone deny more violence is perpetrated against women, by men, in this country, than is committed against their own gender? How many women and children are brutalized, daily, in our society, by men? How much of our western society’s entertainment involves the exploitation of women? Can one state, in all honesty, that women today earn as much as their male counterparts, across the employment spectrum? How often are women yet subject to being referred to by any number of disgusting, derogatory terms, none of which I feel comfortable including here?

'...women are uncreative, afraid of conflict and skeptical of change. Obviously, they would not have suffered such low status throughout the centuries if they had not deserved to.'

A dated statement, you say. A statement taken from something written a hundred, a thousand years ago? No indeed! Why this statement was made on February 11, 2006!

Why are Women Inferior?

Jack Holland’s Misogyny is a must read, not only for women, but for men as well. The book should be in every home, on every bookshelf, and read often, for the truth it states. In Chapter 9 of Mr. Holland’s book, the author quotes George Orwell, and presents us with a profound and relevant statement:

‘To see what is in front of one’s nose is a constant struggle’.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer