Louisa, health and dental insurance continues to rise all over the country. Family plans can be unaffordable. I pay approx $75/month (individual plan - only me - w/meds included) through the company I work for and am extremely fortunate because that includes health and dental (I can't afford to quit).

I had Florida Health Care (only good in Florida so you can't travel) for years before this job and I cancelled because it became unaffordable at that time for me but still less expensive than what you're talking about. I didn't have near as many health problems so I could cancel without worry then. I think FHC is still a sliding scale depending on age, etc.

Some single people I know here have found decent Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans but I don't know what their coverage is. All plans have different coverage and meds might not be included. I save at least $8000/yr for medical/dental in my opinion with the insurance at work. I have good insurance but some others are better and more expensive. I have an HMO and would prefer a PPO but that's more expensive.

For instance, AARP has a new dental plan but only provides periodontal treatment/surgery every 5 years which is unacceptable for people like me. You have to read the small print to know what they're really offering so begin your research now.

Good luck, If you find something you're interested in in Florida, I can help investigate.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips