Hi, Dianne: I second what has been mentioned by previous posts, that anger is a defense mechanism. It is, however, very subjective to the individual who experiences it. Until your daughter opens up to discuss the triggers to her anger, the only way to deal with her right now would be with patience and love. Not an easy thing to do but, given time, it does turn things around for the better. If your daughter has gone back to Church, then it could be the path upon which she could find the breathing space out of whatever troubles her right now. A good sign and a good choice of sanctuary to be in. In spirit, I wait with hope and pray with you for your daughter. In the meantime, here is a link which greatly helped my sister which I hope offers a view of the situation from your daughter's perspective: www.apa.org/topics/controlanger.html

My sister had to cope with a very angry son for a few years. Like your daughter, my nephew would not talk about what angered him. He was not violent nor destructive but his cynicism was a harder pill to take against my sister and her family's efforts to understand him. As it turned out, my nephew did not like being an army brat. Although he was born into that kind of life, he could not cope with the constant move and the threat to his Dad when called to serve active duty in hotspots. As an army brat, self-imposed discipline bottled up emotions that needed to be discussed with his Mom and Dad. He has calmed down now and it has only been fairly recent that my nephew speaks of the angry years. Ironically, like his father, he is with the armed forces. Now he understands.