The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200919 - 03/15/10 01:07 AM Church Attendance...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Would you say the churchs are busier in the winter than in the summer months? Why do you think that is, if you think it is.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#200943 - 03/15/10 11:26 AM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Don't know about their attendance, but sinning is always a good biz...Whatttt?

I'll never forget my Papaw coming home from church one time and my Daddy saying to him (they went to different churches) "So, what did the preacher talk about today?" My Papaw said, "Sin." Daddy said, "What did he say about it?" Papaw never missed a beat, "He's against it."

#200998 - 03/15/10 09:23 PM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Very good comeback. I just love people that are sharp witted. Me thinks you take after your Papaw JJ...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#201011 - 03/16/10 12:02 AM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
So true...him and my daddy. Daddy always said when we would arrive at church. "I don't think we can even find a parking place. Sinning sure is a good business."

#201039 - 03/16/10 09:49 PM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
The Catholic Church is busier in the winter because the four Sundays of Advent leads up to Christmas. There are feastdays within the liturgical calendar for the summer which are just as grand and wonderful e.g. Corpus Christi and Assumption. Whilst those remain to be Holy Days of Obligations within the precepts of the Catholic Church, they do not comprise of long seasons of preparation like Advent. Unless one is particularly aware of the liturgical seasons of the Church, Corpus Christi and Assumption easily slip into the out-of-sight-out-of-mind sort.

#201072 - 03/17/10 06:24 PM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Our church is busier during the school year. When the kids have off in the summer, people go on vacations, and aren't in church as often. We even cut back to one service at 10:00 instead of 8:30 and 10:00. I don't think it's right that less people attend in the summer, but that's how it is. We even stop the majority of our Christian Ed classes becasue so many less are in town. Sunday school for the kids is also a little less formal.

#201140 - 03/19/10 01:41 PM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I think all church attendance is down, in recent years and believe that's because of all the child abuse by authority figures, cheating spouses, war, wayward preachers, and killing. My daddy didn't go to church but a Godlier man never walked
the earth, other than Jesus of course.

#201184 - 03/20/10 01:21 PM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Bet you can't tell how much I loved my adoptive father! LOL...

Edited by jabber (03/20/10 01:21 PM)

#201246 - 03/22/10 01:15 PM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

God is great; God is good; I should go to church, I know I should!

#201252 - 03/22/10 02:26 PM Re: Church Attendance... [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
My brother sent this "Silent Sermon" to me. It's very touching!

The Silent Sermon

A member of a certain church, who previously had been attending services regularly, suddenly stopped coming to church. After a few weeks, the Pastor decided to visit.

The Pastor found the man at home alone, sitting before a blazing fire. Guessing the reason for his Pastor’s visit, the man welcomed him, led him to a comfortable chair near the fireplace and waited. The pastor made himself at home but said nothing. In the grave silence, he contemplated the dance of the flames around the burning logs. After some minutes, the Pastor took the fire tongs, carefully picked up a brightly burning ember and placed it to one side of the hearth all alone.

Then he sat back in his chair, still silent. The host watched all this in quiet contemplation. As the one lone ember’s flame flickered and diminished, there was a momentary glow and then its fire was no more. Soon it was cold and lifeless. The Pastor glanced at his watch and realized it was time to leave. He slowly stood up, picked up the cold, dead ember and placed it back in the middle of the fire. Immediately it began to glow, once more with the light and warmth of the burning coals around it.

As the Pastor reached the door to leave, his host said with a tear running down his cheek, “Thank you so much for your visit and especially for the fiery sermon. I shall be back in church next Sunday.”

We live in a world today which tries to say too much with too little. Consequently, few listen. Sometimes the best sermons are the ones left unspoken. What silent message would God have you share with someone today?

“Even so, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” — Matthew 5:16

— author unknown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved