The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 211 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#15217 - 10/06/05 05:46 PM Birthday of loved one who has died?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Yesterday was Mom's birthday. I intended to get to the cemetery but it got too late. I visited Dad instead and will go to the cemetery this weekend. I also had lunch with a dear friend. Our mothers were best friends, but both are dancing the streets of heaven. They met through us when we were in first grade. We have another lunch date on her mother's birthday.

What do you do on the birthday of loved ones who have died? Anything?

#15218 - 10/07/05 01:44 AM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dotsie, My Mom's birthday is/was November 1st...she died October 28th, and this year will be the 5th anniversary. Both dates are etched in my heart. But we don't do anything special to mark Oct 28th.

On or close to Nov 1st, hubby and I usually get together with my brother (who lives here in Ottawa too) and go out for a nice meal at one of Mom's favourite restaurants. We toast Mom with a piece of shrimp (which was one of her favourite foods) or cheesecake or some silly reminder of her. It's usually a fun celebration of our memories of her and helps us to get through the day with grace and joy.

Strange enough, I can't recall that we've ever done anything special to commemorate Dad's birthday, Feb 4th, except maybe a family dinner at our house. My brother and I usually call each other that night to chat about stuff.

#15219 - 10/07/05 10:10 PM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading about you and your brother.

Mom died on St. Patrick's Day so each year since her death we try to get all the local family members to gather for corned beef and cabbage.

My maiden name is McNamara. Mom died right after all of us finished our corned beef dinner in 2001. AND my mother's mom died on Valentine's Day. Pretty cool, huh?

#15220 - 10/09/05 04:21 AM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
ladybug Offline

These are two lucky moms to be so lovingly remembered by their children. I hope I'm as fortunate to be thought of with so much love after I've gone. At each holiday meal one of our comments during the short prayer is to remember those who "can't be with us today."

#15221 - 10/13/05 03:37 PM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
EagleHeart - I too celebrate Roberts BIRTHDAY not his deathday - honoring someones LIFE is so much more fun than pondering on their death - dont you think [Big Grin]

Dotsie - I'm sure your dad really appreciated your visit. I hope you dont think you're dishonoring your mom somehow if you start to "drift" away from the schedule visits to the cemetery. Visiting her gravesite is a cleansing for YOU -- HER spirit is ALWAYS with you

HUGS DEAR LADIES

#15222 - 10/13/05 05:02 PM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh Lionspaaw, I woke up this morning so stiff and sore from yesterday's hard work, and somewhat disgruntled because I'd rather be home than here looking forward to another day even worse than yesterday. [Eek!] But hearing your voice here this morning brings such immeasurable joy that the day suddenly got a whole lot better!

#15223 - 10/13/05 05:27 PM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lion, thanks for your words. I do feel guilty because I still haven't gotten to the cemetery and her birthday was the 5th. I know it's stupid of me because I carry her with me everywhere. I just love honoring her by placing flowers on her grave. I need to get there.

Eagle, you and your hubby are foreve doing kind things for others. Aren't you helping your neighbor too?

#15224 - 10/14/05 07:49 AM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dotsie,
Your mother's birthday is the same as my mother's. Did you know Oct 5 is also the birthday of the famous soprano, Jennie Lind? My mom is named for her.
I rarely miss spending Mom's birthday with her. My sister and I usually make a big deal of it with all the grandkids and neighbors. This year, my daughters couldn't get there so they sent flowers and we celebrated at a restaurant.
My Mom has always hungered for beautiful things. Even when I was small and we had little money, Mom always craved beauty. She was very creative at decorating and sewed the most wonderful clothes. My Dad always loved having us all dressed up and would take all 'his girls' into town to show us off when Mom had made us new things.
Losing my Dad has aged my Mom a lot, but she is still very active. She is involved with the teens at her church. They ask her to go with them on all kinds of trips and fun things. She paints and teaches porcelain art. Her house and mine are full of her work.

You must miss your mother terribly. I hope you can find the time to take those flowers. If she's like my Mom, she would love being surrounded by their beauty--and yours.
smile

#15225 - 10/16/05 11:10 PM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
My Dad's birthday is October 31st. he has been gone for 2 years now.

My Mom will come stay with us that wek-end and participate in trick or treat. We plan to have a fire pit going while we give out candy and through these little things in the fire to change the color from time to time. I think i will dress my MOm as a witch and let her give out the candy! She was so happy when I suggested this she volunteerred to take her teeth out! That will never happen she is too pround to take her teeth out in public. But it will make the day go smoother for her.

I just carry the perosn around in my heart all day and honor them every chance I get.

Lynn

#15226 - 10/17/05 12:21 AM Re: Birthday of loved one who has died?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

smile and lynn, your posts bring tears to my eyes. I can feel your love of family coming through the screen.

smile, Mom's sister also shares the same birthday. Mom was once her big sister's birthday gift. Your mom will forever stay young at heart if she works with teens. That's soemthing Ross and I hope to do when our kids are out of the house.

Lynn, about the teeth thing, I recall our parent's generation getting false teeth at our age. I gues it's the invention of fluoride that's changed things for our generation. PHEW! I'll be thinking of you on Halloween. I love the sounds of your new neighborhood.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved