The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146781 - 04/21/08 08:34 PM no more tennis
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is definitely a loss. Now that we're at midlife and have a bit more time to ourselves, hubby has begun playing tennis again, a couple times a week. I am so happy for him because he loves it.

I am suffering from the loss of being able to play tennis. Not a total big deal, but still a loss.

While this may be a depressing topic, I thought I'd try to put another spin on it.

What can you no longer do, and what are you doing in it's place that you may not have done otherwise?

My answer is this novice rowing class. While inwardly groaning that I can no longer play tennis, I realized that if it wasn't for that fact, I probably would never have tried rowing.

#146782 - 04/21/08 09:01 PM Re: no more tennis
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I watched Evangelist Joel Osteen late last night on TV, he spoke of us feeling sorry for ourselves and that when we can no longer do something, or we've lost a loved one, or are having financial difficulties, troubles at work etc. we need to not think "poor me," or be angry. We need to realize God hasn't done this TO us, he has done this FOR us, getting us prepared for something he has in store for us down the road. It was an uplifting sermon, one I have taken to heart. What do you all think?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#146783 - 04/22/08 06:02 AM Re: no more tennis [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I can't lift the heavy weights I used to, so not I just lift light ones. Both Hubbo and I used to be avid hikers, but with his/hers back issues, now we go to a local park which has a lot of benches along the way. Also, we utilize the aerobic equipment at the gym.

I've taken Tai Chi class for 2 whole months now! When I was younger, I was much more into the macho showy stuff, but my body just can't take it any more.

Poet and essayist

#146784 - 04/22/08 07:03 PM Re: no more tennis [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dotsie are you rowing outside…like in a real boat? Canoeing? I could get into something like that. I probably couldn’t get out of one anymore though. I see myself walking along the streets with this boat stuck on my behind. Along comes Dancer and tsk tsks me, saying this is just not fashionable. Heh heh,

I absolutely loved tennis, and can understand how disappointing it is for you not to be able to play it any more. You know I play golf now. But I would give it up in a flash to play tennis. Oh well.
The following shows exactly how I feel about golf.

I hate golf
I HATE golf
I HATE HATE GOLF

Good shot….

I LOVE golf.

Isn’t it that way with all sports?

#146785 - 04/23/08 12:17 AM Re: no more tennis
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

While this may be a depressing topic, I thought I'd try to put another spin on it.

What can you no longer do, and what are you doing in it's place that you may not have done otherwise?

I can't sing as well as I use to. While growing up, I could harmonize in almost any key. I could sing tenor, bass, or soprano. A country western station was on my radio yesterday as I was driving, and I could barely hit good harmony. In my mind, I was too high. I tried low, and it didn't fit, either. So, I gave up.

#146786 - 04/23/08 01:32 AM Re: no more tennis
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Dotsie,
I'm sorry you have to stop playing. I understand your loss. There are things I can't do in dance anymore and I miss the feeling very much.

I hope you find a replacement for the joy you found on the court soon and it is possible!

Good luck,
Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#146787 - 04/23/08 02:09 AM Re: no more tennis [Re: dancer9]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I can't sleep late anymore. Darn it! I try, but I just cannot do it. So, alternatively, I go to bed early!! Each day I so look forward to getting into bed and reading whatever book is on my bed stand. Or do crosswords. LOVE crosswords. Glad I can still do them!!

#146788 - 04/23/08 03:26 AM Re: no more tennis [Re: Di]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
There is so much I can't do now - dancing is out, so is hiking, weightlifting, I almost can't knit or crochet any more because of painful finger joints. But, I can write, I can take pictures (some of them pretty good, if I do say so myself!LOL) and I can still learn and teach. I take a Tai Chi class weekly and read a lot. I can spend time with my partner and our pets, and I can do information research (just recently had my first paying client - Hooray!!)

So as things I used to do become more difficult or impossible, something new takes its place. How wonderful is that?!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#146789 - 04/23/08 11:27 AM Re: no more tennis [Re: yonuh]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I'm having knee problems and have given up on step-aerobics (have an appt with an orthopedic doc tomorrow, will find out if I need to give it up permanently or just take a break) so have started taking a Pilates class along with my weight lifting. Also still walking with one of the dogs every morning........hopefully I won't be told to stop doing that!
Have lost almost 5 lbs since I quit doing step. It's probably muscle mass, but at this point in my life, hey a 5 lb loss is a 5 lb loss!! Actually I'm not sure if it has anything to do with not doing step for the last few weeks.........life's been kind of stressful and hectic lately and I'm not snacking as much, that probably has something to do with it!!

#146790 - 04/23/08 02:48 PM Re: no more tennis [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, love it and totally agree. Am trying to walk that way but need constant reminders - like all of you women here!

Meredith, sounds like you've adjusted. You go girl!

Edelwiess, you're a hoot. After the first day, I came home and told Ross that one of the biggest challenges is getting my butt down in the ROLLING seat. And all 8 of us are suppose to do it at the same time. Yeah right!

The way you feel about golf, is the way I used to feel about
tennis.

gims, I bet if you joined a choir, snag a bit more, you could get it back. Do you think that's true with singing? I know nothing about it. I can't carry a tune in a huge trash can!

Thanks dancer. It's hard accepting that the maturing body jsut can't do what it used to. But I believe that the less we use it, the faster we lose it.

Di, how about a nice warm, relaxing bath before bedtime?

yonuh, you are wise to use replacements. I think that keeps us active and young at heart. It's better than focusing on all the things we can no longer do.

crosstith, I know you love your exercise so I'm sorry to hear about your knees. Let me know if you have any questions. I've had two knee surgeries.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved