The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197649 - 01/13/10 07:09 PM Tanning
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Okay, I know it's horrible for you, but we are going to Aruba soon and I'm thinking of doing a little bit of fake tanning before we go.

I know it's horrendous for you, but my skin is so dang pale right now that if I go like this, I'll burn to a crisp unless I put on 100 block out. I have to admit that I like the sun and enjoy having a bit of sun on me. I was much worse years ago, but still like to be out in the sun. I always have on some sun block, but don't totally block it all.

Does anyone here tan?

#197650 - 01/13/10 07:09 PM Re: Tanning [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, I'll definitely cover my face. I have enough wrinkles without adding to them.

#197653 - 01/13/10 07:37 PM Re: Tanning [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Be sure to wear a hat! Get yourself a cute floppy straw hat that you can accesorize with scarfs! Oh, and don't forget the chapstick with SPF!

#197655 - 01/13/10 08:28 PM Re: Tanning [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I haven't deliberately tanned in almost last 20 years. I don't need to with all my cycling. smile

perhaps choose a lower SPF block Dotsie, for a bit of tan under 1 hr. in Aruba on the hotel balcony for legs/abit of arm, then load up stronger SPF block thereafter on the beach.

I don't think tanning salons are safe places, that's for sure. I recall an article somewhere about inexperienced operators.

I'm not interested since I had a non-malignant mole removed just 6 months ago by a dermatologist. So I do have to be careful. IF this makes sense to anyone: I haven't worn any bathing suit for past 10 years even though I could probably wear a 1 piece ok. Just no motivation anymore to sunbathe. I never went sunbathing in Hawaii last year. WE biked each day for about 1-2 hrs. I wore my short shorts and short sleeved tops, not even a tank top. I found the sun too powerful at times in terms of the rays.

#197656 - 01/13/10 08:56 PM Re: Tanning [Re: orchid]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Oh please don't get me started on this topic! The most common place for skin cancer is the back of the legs!

I'll post more on this. I was actually going to start a thread on it but am super busy right now.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#197658 - 01/13/10 10:29 PM Re: Tanning [Re: Dianne]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Dotsie, my friend used tanning beds often and now has appointments with her dermatologist every 3 months. She's had one melanoma removed from her leg, and about 15 other suspicious spots removed. She's going to be a walking scar pretty soon.

She is fair and freckled, so she is more apt to have these issues. If I remember right, you have more olive toned skin and look like you would tan easily. If you don't normally use tanning beds, I would think a couple of session wouldn't hurt (aack, don't shoot me everyone!). I think the problem is when they are used regularly, not just once in a while. Use with caution. (don't overbake the first time, go slow)

The other option, Dotsie, would be to get a spray tan. I did that before we went to the beach for a few days. I looked great, and then allowed myself to get a little natural tan while I was there, so the fake tan faded to the natural tan. Be aware, the fake tan fades quicker if you are in a chlorine pool.

Good luck and let us know what you do. I'm sure Dianne will be back to let me know I should never recommend tanning!! Yikes... sorry Dianne!! wink

#197659 - 01/13/10 10:48 PM Re: Tanning [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dotsie the safest method of short term tanning is to get a SPRAY tan, its all the rage here and in Hollywood and New Yorks society. Check it out, it looks great and they use a vegetable base dye that is actually good to your skin.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#197788 - 01/14/10 01:32 PM Re: Tanning [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You know what? I was thinking that I'd fake tan since it's so rare that I do it, but now I'm going to go with my white body and try to block out as much sun the first couple days.

#197790 - 01/14/10 01:33 PM Re: Tanning [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I don't like the idea of spray tans. I don't want to clog my pores. How does that work? Does it just disappear once you begin getting sun?

#197803 - 01/14/10 01:44 PM Re: Tanning [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It is like a very fine spray of vegetable dye and doesn't plug your pores one bit. It is like water. As you shower and tan in the sun and swim the spray tan will fade nicely allowing the sun to tan you. Its a great way to suntan without burning...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved