The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#185171 - 06/25/09 05:38 PM Tooth problems
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
A few weeks ago I had filling gone bad. The tooth had decay right up against the nerve and when he filled it, I nearly hit the ceiling. WAY painful.

For 12 days I suffered in constant pain...on aspirins continually, or as often as I could take them safely. I could not sleep, eat normally etc. Found out later the nerve was infected. It even hurt to talk!

Got back to the dentist and he still wanted to drill and fill and whatever. I INSISTED he pull the darn tooth, which he did! I'm an advocate of keeping healthy teeth. But also an advocate of getting RID of unhealthy ones. I've had five permanent teeth pulled in the last year. Just SICK of drills and pain and such. My whole life I've been in a dentist's chair. All this stems from a childhood dentist who never gave Novocaine; therefore, never drilled deeply enough, causing decay to continue UNDERneath the fillings!

Anyway, this extraction then led to dry socket. Which means the bloody clot got dislodge which aides in proper healing, causing MORE pain. NO WAY was I going BACK to the dentist 45 minutes away.

Then discovered (and kinda knew this already) that applying Clove Bud Oil directly to the tooth and surrounding areas will help. Yes! It's helped almost immediately. Thankfully we use clove oil for our shea butter and soap. so have plenty on hand.

After weeks of aspirin, motrin, pain killers, I'm finally on the road to recovery. Next, a partial plate so I can eat again.

Bottom line: Take charge of your tooth health. NO LONGER am I allowing root canals or other such wastes of time/money. The partial plate allows for "add ons" which means if I lose another permanent tooth, they simply add another!

I want to be "set" by the time I'm 60 so I won't have dental problems again!

#185186 - 06/25/09 08:47 PM Re: Tooth problems [Re: Di]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Ew! There is no pain quite as bad as tooth pain or an earache. Everything in the head region is just awful. You described something that I went through a few years ago, and they found an abscess at the root canal! Ouch! Glad you are feeling better. You must be sighing big sighs of relief.

One thing that I hate about my teeth, and that is they seem to get more yellow every year. I used to have gleaming white teeth. Nothing helps. I had them bleached twice! The docotr said it's old age, and people who had very white teeth, tend to get more yellow teeth later, because they are thinner. heh?

I'm thinking of getting porcelain caps over them...A costly price, since the insurance won't cover cosmetic dental work. Not sure what to do.

#185642 - 07/02/09 03:33 AM Re: Tooth problems [Re: Edelweiss3]
Di Offline

Sorry, guess I just need sympathy. Dentist pulled another tooth today (2nd in a week!). They all have infected nerves. They are PAINFUL...and now I can't eat much until I get a partial, which may not be for 6 months.

He gave me the last three teeth he pulled. Anyone wanna see them? they sure have some LARGE roots. Wonder how much weight I lost between the losses and not eating much. I know I look gaunt lately. NOT FUN to get old!

#185646 - 07/02/09 09:22 AM Re: Tooth problems [Re: Di]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Aw you poor thing! NOT good to lose weight that way!
Good thing those darn critters are coming out!

#185648 - 07/02/09 01:29 PM Re: Tooth problems [Re: Edelweiss3]
Alice Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hope you are feeling better soon! I have been seeing my periodonist for 30 years and go back and forth between (perio) and dentist; my goal is to keep my teeth, and if I had the money spent on them, could retire right now!

My teeth are excruciatingly sensitive; they hve to use warm water, and I can't even stand for them to put the de-sensitizing gel on my gum; if it navigates to the tooth; I am thru the roof. I have an amazing periodontal asssitant; I told her she can never die; I cannot let anyone else near my gums and teeth but her!

LOL...Hugs, Alice

#185659 - 07/02/09 02:28 PM Re: Tooth problems [Re: Alice]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Holy Hannah. Sorry Di. That sounds terribly painful. Hope your mouth heals and you never have to go through that anymore. I've spent the last 17 years getting teeth repairs: caps, implants, whitenings, and such. I hate going to the dentist, eye doctor, medical doctor, etc. But I kept after my teeth and now am glad I did. Sorry your childhood dentist was a nutbar. Not drilling on my teeth without Novocaine. God love you. Just the thought of that blows me away. Good luck.

Edited by jabber (07/02/09 02:29 PM)

#185660 - 07/02/09 02:30 PM Re: Tooth problems [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Edelweiss3,
Love your Holy Spirit 'n Roses get well ecard! Beautiful!

#185664 - 07/02/09 02:44 PM Re: Tooth problems [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

thanks, gals. I'm on the recovery road finally. I knew this would happen when I was younger. Mom used to warn me. It's a genetic issue AND the fact that the acidity in my mouth decays them quickly. Thankfully I have front teeth (whether capped, crowned or my own) so no one sees my toothlessness. BUT I"m talking funny now and making myself rest, which I'm not good at. But a good murder/mystery takes care of that!

#185744 - 07/03/09 02:51 AM Re: Tooth problems [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Saying prayers for you Di. Gods blessings!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#185746 - 07/03/09 03:22 AM Re: Tooth problems [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

I'm on the upward swing to being pain free! Today took two naps and a Motrin. My gums itch and a bit black/blue but so far so good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved