The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#219349 - 08/16/13 12:24 AM New Recommendatoins on Salt Intake Are Questioned
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I just posted a very interesting article by Dietician Dr. Janet Brill, who is NABBW's Healthy Heart Associate. It's called Salt: A Recipe to Help You Lower Intake to Lower Blood Pressure and Prevent Heart Disease. A long title for a very short article that includes a yummy recipe for Shrimp Diablo.

The article comes on the heels of another article she wrote related to current recommendations with regard to our recommended sodium intake.

That one's the New Salt Message: A Smoking Gun

In it, Brill states that:
Quote:
A recent expert committee report from the esteemed Institute of Medicine (IOM) stated that there was no reason for anyone to keep their sodium intake below 2,300 milligrams a day.

These new recommendations, which hit the airwaves in mid-May of this year, appear to refute decades of dietary wisdom and current advice.
Sounds like great news? Think again. This report is sure to have deadly consequences for the masses of Americans with unhealthy blood pressure levels.

She makes an interesting connection here:
Quote:
The IOM is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that commissioned an expert committee to evaluate current sodium recommendations at the request of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The committee studied the published literature through 2012 to identify relevant scientific publications on how sodium affects direct health outcomes, such as heart attacks, stroke and death–but not blood pressure levels.

(Note that the committee chose to exclude all data published before 2003 and that the first name on the reviewer list for the IOM report is: Dr. MICHAEL H. ALDERMAN, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, a consultant for the extremely powerful Salt Institute, a trade association dedicated to advocating the benefits of salt.)

The boldface is my addition, to highlight what looks like a significant conflict of interest to me.

I'm surprised the IOM would let this happen... and I just wanted to advise all of our BWS members with family members diagnosed with hypertension, or prehypertension, that they ought not to let down their guard when it comes to something as controllable as our salt intake.

So has anyone else heard about this change?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219356 - 08/17/13 12:36 AM Re: New Recommendatoins on Salt Intake Are Questioned [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I hadn't heard that, Anne. But whenever a new study comes out, my first questions are always who paid for it and who performed the study. I suppose I'm luckier than some as I had a class on research methods in grad school; that really opened my eyes!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#219364 - 08/18/13 02:43 AM Re: New Recommendatoins on Salt Intake Are Questioned [Re: yonuh]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I find this a rather frightening article. So many people on my father's side (including my Dad) died of stroke, so I feel particularly strong about watching my sodium intake. And when my brother was battling through his Hodgkin's Lymphoma, one of the biggest problems his doctor had was Gary's high sodium levels. No matter what the doctors tried, they could not get his sodium down. Throughout his chemo and right into his last days in ICU, every part of his body was being affected by his high sodium. My brother lived on fast food. That was a huge wake-up call to me and my other two brothers, to be more vigilant about our sodium intake.

To hear someone of this caliber suggest otherwise is, IMO, dangerous and questionable.

(Maya Angelou)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved