The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 104 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#32959 - 08/29/04 04:59 AM Panic Attacks
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I have been on stress rest for nearly 5 weeks, due to panic attacks. Anyone else have problem with these? I am thinking of applying for disability as I seem to be of no use when under any kind of stress, whether it is good stuff happening or bad. On medication and have a wonderful Christian therapist who is helping me, but, my job may not be there when I return because I wasn't back at it long enough to earn FMLA, so, I might be back on the unemployment line once again. My husband wants me to apply for disability if that happens, but I hear it takes so long, and I don't know if they would consider stress panic syndrome enough for disability. I am so confused, and not sure if I can handle being back to work but know I need to go.

Sherri

#32960 - 08/29/04 02:27 PM Re: Panic Attacks
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
There's a lot of information on the internet about the relationship between panic attack and diet -- particularly how it's related to sugar levels. My son in law gets them but has had fewer episodes since changing his diet.

#32961 - 08/30/04 07:50 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sherri, are the people at work aware of your attacks? If they are, would it be possible to keep the job, attempt work, and if you start to feel poorly, go home? Just a thought. [Wink]

I'm sorry you are going through this right now. You were sailing right along. Praying you get the wind back in your sails before too long.

#32962 - 08/29/04 11:50 PM Re: Panic Attacks
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
There's a lot of info out there on panic attacks. Sometimes it's hereditary, sometimes stress causes it. Other times there seems to be no rhyme nor reason for them. They can be quite debilitating, but they can be controlled. Did you say you are on medication? What is it? Does it help at all?
Louisa

#32963 - 08/30/04 12:01 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Sherri Offline

I am on xanax, 1 mg now, cut down from 2 because yes it helped with the panic attacks, but I couldn't function normally. I am supposed to go back to work on Weds. At this point, I know it is caused by stress. Had one on the way to Vegas, stressful things bring them on. I am seeing a christian therapist and she is helping with image meditation and breathing exercises.

Dotsie, I probably won't have a job when I go back. I didn't have any FMLA accumulated (Family Medical Leave Act) and so they have reason for disciplinary action. I know there is just too much going on right now for me to handle everything.

Sherri

#32964 - 08/30/04 12:39 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Sherri,

I concur with what the other ladies said about stress. Sugar, stress, too much coffee and lack of sleep add to panic attacks. Diet, as was mentioned above, seems to have a high impact on the amount and severit of attacks.

If the attacks are affecting your work as you mentioned, you may want to take some time off or lessen the amount of work you're doing...or speak to your employer on what can be done to help you...

Hope this helps.

#32965 - 08/30/04 01:08 AM Re: Panic Attacks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sherri, my ex was on disability for many years due to panic attacks and I know that if you have a doctor that will sign the papers to say you are disabled due to them then Soc. Sec. will pay the disability every month and also for your medical tretments, therapist etc. but a doctor has to say its so. My ex got off disability when he was offered a really good job. I'd check it out especially if yhou're sick of working and can live on the amount they pay. Hope you feel better, oh and wheat allergy also causes some folks to have these attacks as well as the sugar.

#32966 - 08/30/04 05:16 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Sherri Offline

Chatty, I am so sorry that we couldn't connect in Vegas.

If my job is done or if I continue to have problems I am going to look into disability. I think my Dr will sign saying I am having problems and my therapist calls it Stress/Anxiety Disorder. I don't know. All is just looking bleak right now. I don't know how things will work out.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I try to stay away from all sweets and have never really binged on them, except right after Dad died. EAting protein, vegetables, no sugar and low carbs.

Please pray for me.

Sherri

#32967 - 08/31/04 07:46 AM Re: Panic Attacks
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Sherri,

Will keep you in my prayers. Good idea staying away from sweets. Sweets, too much of them, really hype me up...that and cola drinks..Protein and the good 'carbs' from potatoes help relax the body.

Let us know how it goes for you on this, O.K.?

#32968 - 08/30/04 08:18 PM Re: Panic Attacks
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Sherri, Panic Attacks are no fun. I suffer from them on a near daily basis. They're triggered by anything, (something I read in the newspaper, hear on the radio, a thought in my head, who knows!!)

I am on medication for them, and have found that it isn't as dibilitating as Xanax. It's called Ativan.

One thing that I've learned to deal with the Panic attack is not to let it snowball. Once the anxiety builds it can "Snowball" so quickly that no conscious, normal thought has a chance. Try this: as soon as you recognize the symptoms, and have the thoughts in your head (whatever you're panicked about) grab a hold of that thought and stop it. ( it takes practice to do this) Don't let the thought move on and be replaced by even greater panic thoughts. Tell yourself that it's irrational and unfounded. While doing this slow your breathing. Keep talking to yourself and slowing your breathing until you feel calmness enter your mind and body.

The main thing is to start recognizing as early as possible when the attack starts. Sometimes I ignore the signs and then have to reach for the meds to help counter the attack.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved