The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 107 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90875 - 10/05/06 07:15 PM How Do I Respond/How?
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
My mother-in-law (Dot) has a 44 year old daughter (Robin) who is schitzophrenic and a drug user. Robin is extremely manipulative and has been living off the SSI system for years. When she's spent all her money on drugs she plops down at my MIL's house and more or less keeps the rest of the family away because of her behavior. She's been in and out of mental counseling/institutions but she gets out. Robin admitted herself into a hospital last week for some R&R and while there told a nurse she was going to buy a gun and shoot her sister and her mom (my MIL). My MIL keeps a gun in her house and has hidden it in a different place so Robin can't get to it. What is shocking to me is that no one is doing anything about this, including the hospital who told my MIL what Robin had said she wanted to do. She said she wanted to warn my MIL about where Robin is mentally on the issue of harming her and her other daughter. My husband is upset but says that as long as his mom (Dot) doesn't want to do anything to put Robin away again there's nothing we can do. I just cannot believe that while my MIL is in denial there's nothing the rest of the family (meaning her other 4 children) can't do to put Robin away. As an outsider (her daughter-in-law) I feel my hands are tied...I know what I'd do if this was my mother...there would be no question, but this family seems to be in denial about the danger of what Robin in threatening to do. Is anyone else living within a family full of denial?

#90876 - 10/05/06 07:52 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How? [Re: Dee]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I believe that since a crime has not occurred, about the only thing to do would be to get a restraining order and kick her out of the house. It sounds like MIL may not be willing to do that. The MIL and sister threatened would both need to file their own restraining orders. Does the other sister live with MIL?

Also, I would get the gun out of the house and far away. If Robin is intent on finding it, she will.

I'm not living in your type of situation,but this is something you read about all the time. I wish you the best and hope that your MIL sees the light.

Kathy

#90877 - 10/05/06 08:43 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Don't schizophrenics say they hear voices telling them to do things (usually bad)?? I wouldn't panic but I wouldn't rest easy knowing she has made these statements and there's a gun around. Can you have some kind of family meeting and maybe in the meantime, gather some stories and statistics of people in her frame of mind, really hurting others?
I'll say some prayers of protection for your in-laws, Dee.

In My Father's house are many mansions...John 14:2

http://www.myspace.com/westernbluebird

#90878 - 10/05/06 09:06 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How? [Re: Bluebird]
Dee Offline

Kathy,
The other sister lives down the street from her mom. Robin lives in a nearby town but doesn't drive and my MIL is all the time running Robin here and there. My MIL is 74 and it's breaking my heart to see a woman this age bending to the will of her out-of-control daughter.

#90879 - 10/05/06 11:03 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How? [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dee it sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place....I agree that the gun should be removed first thing. Now unfortunately since you are just the DIL, and the other members of the family have their heads up their bums, I would suggest you stay away from her and the craziness. You can't make the horse drink the water, you can only lead him/them to it. Is your MIL religious, if so maybe you can have the clergy step in and talk to her? If not them its her problem, she raised a family and has to have some form of intelligence. My mother is 86 and would tell us to go fly a kite before being tromped on, so to speak, by anybody...Good luck to you all!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#90880 - 10/05/06 11:10 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How? [Re: chatty lady]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Is your MIL's daughter taking her medicine? I would take the threat seriously. Mental illness will make people do things that they don't really want to do. And if she is not taking her meds, which if she is taking drugs may not even make a difference anyway, she could have little control over what she does.

I agree with Chatty - you can't do much in your postion other than state what you think. Stay away and take care of yourself.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#90881 - 10/06/06 12:11 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How? [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy. I would have a hard time putting this to rest.

I agree. Get the gun out of the house. Sneak it out if you have to. Then you can rest knowing the absolute worse won't happen. That should give you a lot of relief.

Do you know someone who is well informed about mental illness that might be able to educate the family a bit? It sounds to me like they are in denial, but perhaps they are ignorant about the mental illness. Do you think if they knew the seriousness they would still deny?

#90882 - 10/06/06 01:12 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How?
Dee Offline

Thanks for everyone's responses and concerns. It's very comforting to know you're there...I think that's what I like most about this group...you're my invisible support group.
My girlfriend made a very good point and although it goes against what I feel I should do I have to protect my own family. First, they've been dealing with Robin for years and all understand her mental illness and hate her drug use...she's the one in denial about her drug use and she's so understanding of her mental illness that she knows how to use it to her advantage...Robin may be mentally ill but she's not stupid. Her mother, I believe, is the one in denial and believes every word Robin tells her about anything. There's no way I could get ahold of mom's gun. Even if I could, Robin knows enough drug dealers to get one of her own...that's the problem.
Anyway, my girlfriend told me that if Robin hears I'm trying to interfere Robin may have someone come after me and my husband. I'd never thought of that...I was trying to keep mom safe and when Nancy told me that last night I sort of stood there thinking...do I try to protect a woman who keeps fighting reason or do I protect me and my husband?
In the end Mom has to be the one to want protection and as of now she doesn't feel she's in any real danger, although the rest of us don't agree. In all honesty, I think my MIL's other kids are tired of dealing with Robin...it's always been something, and I think they're tired of trying to fix the problem and their mother coming behind them and unraveling it all to apease Robin.
I'm thinking about letting the police in my MIL's area know what Robin has threatened to do and leave it alone. That way if Robin or her drug friends do anything at least perhaps the police will remember I talked to them. Maybe they'll even go out and talk to my MIL about it.
You're right...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink...and I did look up the statistics...they're low for Robin carring out her threat...but not zero...so, the risk is there.
Please pray for this family.
Thanks.
Dee

#90883 - 10/06/06 02:14 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How? [Re: Dee]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Dee, how many times do we read about someone who is mentally unbalanced, making threats and nobody did anything and someone ended up dead? Then, everyone questions why nothing was done. If she's talking about it, she's been thinking about it.

I think your idea about talking with the police in her area is a good one and also about protecting your own family.

I'm so sorry you are being put through this.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#90884 - 10/06/06 02:40 PM Re: How Do I Respond/How? [Re: Dianne]
Dee Offline

Thank you Diane for your kind words...I'll let ya'll know what the police say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved