The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33903 - 12/21/05 03:08 AM Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
Maiden_Voyager Offline

Loc: Colorado
Like lots of people, I find this a difficult time of year. Actually, I'm feeling a lot better just reading all of your postings!

The fact that I'm Jewish means that I didn't grow up with a Christmas tradition. But my family was kind of disfunctional, and really didn't observe anything else, other than insanity...

I've never been married, and although I have lots of acquaintences, I don't currently have close friends, the kind I'd party/commiserate with this time of year. I'm also having some professional/ financial issues. Combine all that turning 50, and a lifetime battle with depression, and there's nothing much "merry" about Christmas.

I read some other postings about inviting people who are alone this time of year. It's a nice thought, but if it's not your family or your peer group, folks you know and can relate to, these kinds of events just feel awkward.

Sorry for being so negative. You wouldn't know it, but in public I usually come off as friendly and funny. But why do they have to BLAST those @&*(^$ Christmas songs in every !@#$% store! If I'm told to have myself a "merry little Christmas" one more time I'm just going to....

Thanks for letting me vent. I just discovered this site, and it seems really great.

Have a decent day, everyone!

#33904 - 12/21/05 03:14 AM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Welcome, Maiden! Where in CO are you? We have quite a few women on here from our state. I'm in the SW corner.

Don't feel bad about complaining about the Christmas songs. I'm a Christian and I don't like it either!!

#33906 - 12/21/05 03:28 AM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Welcome. I'm so sorry you're going through so much right now. Maybe you could connect with some boomers on this site. That would be great!

Glad you found us. I won't say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays and I won't even sing a Christmas song!

#33907 - 12/21/05 03:46 AM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
outdoorwomyn Offline

Loc: Chicago Illinois
Hi,

I am new to this site. I read the threads and thought I could suggest this. I am also Jewish and I have Christian friends all very involved with family this time of year. My family is mostly gone so I understand what Maiden V is expressing. Perhaps she or others might like to just chat over the next several days like pen pals. We could get to know each other.

#33908 - 12/21/05 03:56 AM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Maiden_Voyager, I too welcome you here, and I hope you find it a safe, warm place to come and take your shoes off and just be.

I'm a Christian, and an avid music lover, and sometimes have to play Christmas music in July just because I like it (especially Amy Grant's stuff)...BUT, I too get sick and tired of hearing it in every store, every mall, every radio station, everywhere for the whole month (some stores here start in November!) So I can relate to your frustration there.

I too have struggled with depression all of my life...this is definitely a difficult enough time of the year for people with chronic depression without the added pain of loneliness and other problems piling up on you.

I can't offer much in the way of help, suggestions, etc, but I can assure you that this is a good place to be. And I'm pretty sure that it won't be silent here on the 25th. Even with a houseful of family here, I'm still going to try and sneak down at some point in the day, both to find a little oasis of calm and to chat with others who might be needing a little friendly company (even some of us who are surrounded by family and friends don't always feel as safe and warm at "home" as we do here in our "home away from home"!)

[ December 20, 2005, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#33909 - 12/21/05 04:07 AM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Welcome to both of you. Trust me, I won't even try to sing. And my dancing is worse...is that possible? We are so happy you chosen to post and be a part of this community of diverse women, and hope you'll stay with us, learn with us, and grow with us.

We are truly glad you're here!

JJ

#33910 - 12/21/05 04:32 AM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Welcome Maiden_Voyager & outdoorwomyn

Well...I don't sing either, but I can dance...or at least, I like to think so. [Big Grin]

BWS is such a wonderful spot to be, you'll find yourself here through out the day.

It's nice to have new sisters...

#33911 - 12/21/05 05:27 AM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Hi MV...

Your comment about inviting those "alone" and the fact that it is uncomfy is so true! Kind of like a real life pitty party. :sigh:

Even though DH and I have spent Christmas alone every year for Christmas (he has kids but that's a whole 'nother thread!), we've never really wanted to be anywhere else...although we do not like being alone either. I, personally, don't like imposing on others' "family" celebrations.

I feel sad for and with you. You are just north of us...(we are in Southern NM) I've often wanted to have a gathering of people who ARE alone, but DH is not the type to invite strangers in.

If you ever do get to NM, please find me here! We can get together. (I'll be 50 in 1 1/2 years so I'm right there with ya!)

With (((HUGS))) and NO Merry Christmas wishes... [Wink]

Di

#33912 - 12/21/05 07:05 AM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
Maiden_Voyager Offline

Loc: Colorado
I can't believe how many wonderful responses I've gotten already! Thanks so much. I felt better after I posted, and even better after reading all of your kind messages. I'll stay tuned. What a great group.

You know, the thing that may be so annoying about the Christmas songs is that I LIKE a lot of them! And "Oh Holy Night" always brings me to tears. The best part of Christmas may just be the music (and the after Christmas sales--I'll see you all at Talbots on the 26th!)

--MV

#33913 - 12/21/05 05:05 PM Re: Jewish, alone, and depresessed at Christmas...
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Welcome Maiden Voyager and outdoorwomyn! So glad you both found your way here.....now that you know where we are, you have a WHOLE LOT of new friends and there's always someone around to keep you company. The Boomer community has grown tremendously so rest assured there will be women here who understand how you feel, want to help, can lend a shoulder to cry on, can do the "happy dance" when you are celebrating....whatever!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved