The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#83422 - 07/21/06 08:29 PM Beloved Bipolar Friend
Sugaree Offline

On June 19th, a dear friend died of a drug overdose. He was diagnosed as bipolar some time ago. Of course, as with most people diagnosed with such a mental illness, he was in denial for a long while. During his manic stages, he was the liveliest person you'd ever want to meet, especially to those that does not know him.

Typically, when he was down, he sure was in the gutter. Since he wouldn't take his meds properly, he was constantly up and down.

A month before he passed, he stayed here with me so I was able to get a real, upclose view of how this effects them. It was so sad. We would be sitting in the kitchen or where ever, laughing and talking and suddenly, he'd be extremely sad, sometimes with tears.

In just the four days that he was here, I felt such sorrow for the families and especially the spouses of bipolars that wont get therapy or pharma-therapy.

I loved him as a friend but he'd been my lover so I mourn his death from several perspectives. At first I felt a sense of guilt and then sorrow and then I felt the lost of a lost friend.

Most of my tears came from thinking about how it must have felt for such an intelligent man to have to suffer so, not knowing what to do and denying himself the ability to admit that he had a real, serious, obviously, deadly problem.

No one could tell him anything in either state. When he was sad/manic he was too extreme to hear what was good for him. I've heard this but it never really hit home until he died while in one of those states after having spent time around him.

#83423 - 07/22/06 01:35 AM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: Sugaree]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Im am sorry for your loss, Sugaree. I know a little bit about bipolar; my son was diagnosed last December. He has suffered two bouts of mania (that we know of - he's lived on his own for nearly 10 years) and 2 devastating bouts of depression. Right now, he is financially ruined, been out of work for months - but is getting better. He is uninsured and also in denial about medication, even after a hospitalization in the midst of his last manic episode.

The mind is truly a mystery. I look back at his adolescence and see now there were signs of moodiness - but never dreamed that it would turn into this. The first eiposde of mania was so bizarre that we were sure he was on drugs. My son kept telling us that he was not using - DH took him for testing. He was drug free.

Today, he's actually doing quite well - and looking for work again. He had to move back home (which was a huge blow to his ego) but he had no alternative. I pray every night that he doesn't relapse back into hell again.

#83424 - 07/22/06 05:08 AM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: browser57]
Sugaree Offline

Oh, Browser, my prayers are with you, especially since this is your son. Ulysses was a friend, however dear, no comparison to the love a parent has for a son/child.

The reason that Ulysses was here with me was such a blow to his mind that he was only here for a week. He mingled with my neighbors and friends as they came and went. His mania would take over at times and I'd be there to stare him back into a bit of a submission considering we'd spoken about his manic symptoms prior. Well, this desease is so sneaky that it makes them believe that they can 'out smart' everyone. They'll have people laughing and so charmed that everyone in their path leaves in glee.

It's so sad that 'we' can see what's happening to them in a matter of seconds. The matter with this issue is that we never know kind of 'games' their manic selves are playing and so we become leiry of them, their behaviors and tend to turn away and leave them.

Oh, this is so, so sad.

#83425 - 07/22/06 01:52 PM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: Sugaree]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Sug and Browser, I'm so sorry that both of you have dealt with this and Sug, lost a dear friend.

I had a girlfriend who suffered with this and it was a difficult friendship. I spent many late nights on the phone as I tried to talk her down or up but it did no good, as you know. The smallest, most trivial things would put her into a tailspin. She even physically attacked me once.

She dumped me as a friend because I married David. Came to the wedding but would glare at me. She told me she couldn't understand why I had found a man and she hadn't. How do you answer that? She never spoke to me again after the wedding.

Have you read Danelle Steels (sp) book about her son who suffered from this and overdosed and died? It really gives insight into what these poor souls are going through and you understand why they commit suicide. It also shows how it can tear a family apart. She and her husband divorced because when her son was having an episode, whether she was on tour or what, she'd run home to help him and her husband couldn't deal with the disruption in their marriage. Just so very sad. And, her son was just beautiful. Looked like a male model but his poor little mind was so sick.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#83426 - 07/22/06 03:44 PM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: Dianne]
browser57 Offline

It has been one heck of a learning curve for us, but I am hopeful. It's funny that today, bipolar is such a common thing. It's always been around, only dealt with so differently. Many people today manage it and control it pretty successfully. But, there is always that worry about the next event.

Thankfully, my son is not into the rapid cycling that Sug's friend apparently was. That had to be very freightening. But, living through a manic phase (my son's lasted for nearly a month) is about as stressfull as it can get.

Sug, was your friend manic or depressed when he overdosed? My son drinks during both phases (which is common) and I worried that he would just not answer the phone one day. Now that he is under my roof again, I try to keep healthy food in the house, he's riding his bike and roller blading a lot - he appears to be sleeping again (another thing that they don't get much of when in an episode.) But, his self esteem in still in short supply. Hopefully, he can get back to work (but will the pressures get to him again?) It's such a worry.

#83427 - 07/22/06 06:04 PM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: browser57]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Sug, I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Browser, living with a child no matter what age who has BP, is difficult, but if they're taking their medications it's manageable. Does you son take his medications? Does he see a doctor who can prescribe meds?

I haven't made it a secret that I'm BP. I've been officially diagnosed for about 4 years now, but I'm sure I've been BP since I was a teenager.

I've found a wonderful doctor who listens to me and knows me so well that he can tell sometimes before I can if I need a med change. So far, we've been on a good streak. I am stable, I'm able to write, and I'm functioning. All important things for a BP person. I make little goals for myself, so I can feel good about my accomplishments. If a task seems too daunting, I break it down into little tasks, so that I can do one step at a time. Sometimes, just seeing how much is ahead of a person, can make them depressed. I have a wonderfully supportive husband who helps me see only parts of what's ahead of me, instead of the whole big picture. That way, I can find little successes along the way and keep my self esteem up.

I wish you success with your son and I hope he receives the treatment he deserves. There's a good magazine out called BP. http://www.bphope.com/ This month's issue is especially relevant. It interviewed hundreds of BP people and wrote about 6 of them who are "just like us".

So often, we think we're alone in our pain, but we're not. We need to find support. If not in our medical community, than in our private community. There are online groups as well that provide support for it's members. Just google "bipolar support groups" and you'll find tons of information.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#83428 - 07/22/06 06:21 PM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
browser57 Offline

Vicky - thanks for the magazine tip. It looks wonderful - I've bookmarked it and will read them all this weekend.

My son is in denial. We had to have him picked up last winter after he had walked home from a bar (over 20 miles) in shirtsleeves in 15 degree weather. He refused to see a doctor - so we had to have the police pick him up. It was such a horrible ordeal - I will go to my grave with guilt over that. He was not a threat to anyone - but himself. He was put on Abilify and did well. Once out - he stopped seeing the therapist but continued meds for awhile. I'm not sure when he stopped. He went into a depression about March.

He is (29)unemployed and uninsured. Been on his own since he was 19. He listens to everything I say, but I cannot force him to do anything. He needs someone to talk to - but didn't like the therapist he was assigned.

Thanks for your understanding.

Edited by browser57 (07/22/06 06:23 PM)

#83429 - 07/22/06 09:39 PM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: browser57]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Girls,
I read every word and I want you to know I think you are all very brave and so full of compassion for one another.

Without you even knowing it, you're probably giving much hope to people who lurk around this forum and to members who just can't bear to share that part of their lives.

Sug, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know your grief feels unbearable! I will be praying for peace and understanding for your heart. And for you and your son Browser. My God step in and help your precious son!

JJ

#83430 - 07/22/06 10:48 PM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I worry about my Grandsons new wife who is bipolar and stops taking her medication from time to time and when she does she goes balistic, hits him, shoves him and tries to get him to hit her so she can call the police. Its so sad because he is such a kind, gentle, loving and supportive young man. I don't see anything good coming from all this either. She is a real pretty little thing but like a Jekyl and Hyde when not on her meds.

Edited by chatty lady (07/22/06 10:49 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#83431 - 07/29/06 01:37 PM Re: Beloved Bipolar Friend [Re: chatty lady]
Old Knitter Offline

I don't usually talk about it because I notice people around me tend to "look for signs" or attribute any unexplainable action to it, but I am bi-polar. I was diagnosed over 15 years ago. Somehow just knowing what the problem is has helped tremendously. The major change I have made in my life is to keep everything routine. That truly is the key for me. No surprises to deal with makes a really good day. That, and regular sleep. A bi-polar without sleep is not a healthy situation. When you are in a manic phase you really never get sleepy. You don't need sleep and you actually have no patience with mere mortals who require it....my poor husband. I just want to close with the point that my life is very good and happy. It's an illness and although you can't always take care of yourself, you try and accept it and manage your illness in the same way everyone else manages whatever was thrown their way. We do depend on friends and family more than most people do. This is true even when we are pushing you away and abusive to you. The people put in our lives are angels and I love each one of mine with a passion.

Edited by Old Knitter (07/29/06 01:41 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved