The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113784 - 04/05/07 09:31 AM Borderline personality disorder
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
I am gonna present a lot of information describing a disorder then get to the question i like to aske you.

Borderline personality disorder

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is defined within psychiatry and related psychological fields as a mental disorder characterized primarily by emotional dysregulation, extreme "black and white" thinking, or "splitting" (believing that something is one of only two possible things, and ignoring any possible "in-betweens"), and chaotic relationships. It is described by mental health professionals as a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in mood, interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior, and a disturbance in the individual's sense of self.
The disturbances suffered by those with borderline personality disorder have a wide-ranging and pervasive negative impact on many or all of the psychosocial facets of life, including employability and relationships in work, home, and social settings.

The latest version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), the widely-used American Psychiatric Association guide for clinicians seeking to diagnose mental disorders, defines Borderline Personality Disorder ("B.P.D." or BPD) as: "a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image and affects, as well as marked impulsivity, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts."[1]. BPD is classed on "Axis II", as an underlying pervasive or personality condition, rather than "Axis I" for more circumscribed mental disorders. A DSM diagnosis of BPD requires any five out of nine listed criteria to be present for a significant period of time. There are thus 256 different combinations of symptoms that could result in a diagnosis, of which 136 have been found in practice in one
study[2]

The criteria are:
1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. [Not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]
2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, promiscuous sex, eating disorders, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). [Again, not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]
5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior.
6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.
8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.
--- from the DSM-IV-TR, 301.83.
Overall the personality will try a variety of behaviours to avoid abandonment real or imaginary, physical abandonment or just mental or emotional. The behaviour will and can range from sweet talking, manipulation, lies about their own lives or those closest to them to elicit a empathetic or sympathetic responses (to promote closeness or stop abandonment) Anger and rage.

this is me talking
Some of you know I am doing a bit of research into something that’s related generally to this personality type. What I am hoping for is to provide myself with some background information or insight into this disorder and a specific behaviour (If I tell you what exactly, you will know what I am looking for within your answers and it risks affecting your answer). Mania people with this disorder are within the community, function within the workplaces, in relationships, mothers and fathers within churches etc. chances are since it’s such a widespread disorder you know or have known someone with this disorder.

I am generally wondering what your experiences were, did they or you know about this disorder (many are undiagnosed until the behaviour gets too extreme). What did you think was up with the individual as many people will sense something has gone array but not know exactly what it is. What was the context is which you meet/ had contact with them, for example the workplaces, how was it experientially working with such individuals, which types of situations arose, how were they resolved etc. Did any other strange or dysfunctional behaviours come or were used by these individuals?

If you can sensitively share your experiences I really appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by Dotsie (04/05/07 12:32 PM)

#113785 - 04/05/07 04:12 PM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: celtic_flame]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have an older friend.She was Matron in a mental health hospital.She first explained borderline personality to me.
In my experience many do function (up to a point)in society.The others workmates.. teachers... family members have the task of being on the fringe of the disorder.
Narscistic...Muncheustan may be a facet.
I met one at one job and she was like a tank going through the workplace upsetting others (myself included) .She thrived on making others' unhappy.I am glad I knew of the personality type and how ruthless she could be.
Vampire comes to mind...
Mountain ash

#113786 - 04/05/07 09:04 PM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
A very interesting area of research, Celtic. It is a common disorder? It will be very hard for someone like me, with no professional training or background in the matter, to be able to discern the disorder and would naively attribute manifestations to some other thing. I would not be able to tell the difference between narcissism and vanity. Or are they one and the same? If Munchausen is a facet, where does the case like Beverly Allitt's fit in?

#113787 - 04/05/07 10:35 PM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: Lola]
celtic_flame Offline

Thanks for letting me post this dotsie and the wee edit ...it dose read better and i understand what you were meaning, cheers.

#113788 - 04/05/07 10:35 PM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

MOUNTAIN
did you know about the disorder before or after you meet this woman? If you didnt know before how did you interprite her behaviour...what did you think she was up to or doing???

Did she know she had this disorder?
did she end up fired, did others leave the workplaces? What happend to her? how was she generalie treated by people...How did you cope respond to her?

i know a bombardment of questions oppsss but that the stuff i was hoping to find out.

#113789 - 04/05/07 10:39 PM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

LOLA
a verie common disorder and like so manie others is gradient in severitie, some people are slight in their personalitie quirks for want of another word...some verie extreem. Some have had psychiatrick care help and have been diagnosed others havent...

Its exactlie the lay persons experinces i was after lola...chancies are you meet someone with the disorder you may have thought something strange about them or not as they often not institusionalised or medicated if undiognosed...So how what did you make of them how did you make sences of them. What types of things did one do in responces to them and their behaviours.

I put the definision in and diognosis criteria so people could read and decide for themselfs if they know a persone that fits that bill or has one or lots more of the behavioural traites....

#113790 - 04/05/07 10:53 PM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

BPD is the general term that brakes down into sub terms that take on certine focuses like Narscistic BPD obviouslie having a bigger tendancie to self love and insite that others agree with their self image...i cant off the top of my head rember how manie subsections of BPD their are.

...Muncheustan for those that dont know is wear the individuel pretends to have had the same or similare experinces that you have had...If you have ingrown toe nail they have too, if you been battered they have too. So they take your storie, expres your storie but take and try to convinces others it realie happend to them...Its kinda like stealing someone elses trajic past....WHY? for the same or similare types of attension tragik stories get people.....its just another manipulasion for attension, to hold or keep people close to them (saved from abandonment) etc...this is still quite a relativlie young discoverie for want of a better way to tell of it , so theirs still a lot to be known about it..It primarilie revolves around the hospital setting fake illness etc...but can also be about just stealing someone elses tramua thats dosent end in hopital treatment.

Muncheustan by Proxy syndromen is the same as above onlie the harm happens to others normalie the kids as they are smaller and vulrible....or the parent coaches the kids to act sick...to get the hospital treatment. The doting mother gets the attension and sympitie of others for having a sick or injured kid..

The reprisenting of someone elses past gets to the point that at the end the person themselfs can't distinguishe if the event happend or not. thats a rough definision of Muncheustan...(thanks for spelling it for me mountain)

LOLA the Beverly Allitt's case is one i am not familure with off the top of my head...can or is it appropriate to describe it heer in public?

#113791 - 04/05/07 11:47 PM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

i posted this and lost it so if it showes up twice sorrie...

Beverly Allitt's i goggled the case and its sad and what can one say about such instancies of abuse...

M or MBP is focused around healthcare...BPD people may at times show eliments of attension seeking behaviour towards the helth system but the personalitie disorder is much more broder or generall in nature not limited to health profesionals. Thass one big diffrences between M and BPD..

self-mutilasion within BPD is more about reliving unbarible tension first and formost (mostlie) and secondlie about care and the attension that brings...ratyher than being about solie medical care...if that makes sences and at times we talking sutile diffrences but its thse sutilties that gets a person placed into one catigorie or another.....even if their all placed roughlie under a personalitie disorder. So M and MBP is more focused in its nature..

Hope that makes it clearer what i am trying to find out and descuss.....

#113792 - 04/06/07 03:19 AM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: celtic_flame]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
This is difficult, Celtic. I have read through the descriptions several times, and each time I think of someone else. I think of myself too. But at least five of the criteria, does narrow it down some.

I will think some more. I think it is hard for lay people to really answer your question with only a medical description of a particular disease. Could you give us an example? For example, someone in history that has displayed these traits? A book that had a character with such a personality disorder?

This might help those of us that are not medically inclined.

#113793 - 04/06/07 06:29 AM Re: Borderline personality disorder [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Would members of gangs fit into BPD, Celtic? The criteria seems to describe youths conscripted into gangs. Is BPD a disorder that needs validation? Or is it markedly heightened by membership in that particular peer group?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved