The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 106 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147176 - 04/25/08 06:59 PM Our military and PTSD
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I work at the Veterans Hospital here if any one missed that and I work with the patients.

I am stunned by whom we call the "PTSD boys." These are all men at this time, going through a PTSD program at the hosptial. Because McCain has his personal hand in our V.A. hospital, we are even getting a big new building to house and care for those with PTSD.

I see them come in and they are rowdy and our of line. They are loud and not so friendly. They look mad and being near them is hard if you don't have a strong constitution. They speak openly about killing and IEDs, etc..

After two weeks in the program, it never fails, they become introspective. They quiet down and are calm. They talk to each other about feelings over lunch and speak of crying and hurting. They are changed and in the place of that rude animal like behavior is a man who is thinking about EVERYTHING that he does and why he does it. (We have no females at this time in the program.)

It is SO important that they get this treatment that it is black and white! They are out of control when they enter it and in control when they leave! Some are in patient and most are in one control group all going through treatment together. It's warm to see them change and bond.

Still, I wonder about that soldier coming home withOUT this treatment!

Just thoughts. I do now work exclusively with PTSD patients although that was my early education, I understand them though. I work with all patients. It can be hard.

Again, just thoughts and info.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#147178 - 04/25/08 07:04 PM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

You're right, Anne3, so right. The trouble is that in this war, although it is hard to hear, they must shoot civilians a lot. This is a "city war," a door to door war and one cannot kill families and come right back to one!

Also, the military is stepping up the number of convicted felons they are lettig into the military. They have let those that have been convicted of sex crimes, of assault with a weapon and other felonies in so they have enought troops! That meand a LOT of therapy. It is so different for these men and women then it was before.

To fight home to home and in some cases, a single gunshot can cause them to be ordered to shoot everyone in that direction, and try to be a family person is almost impossible, don't you think?

Anne, where you a teacher?

Dancer

Edited by dancer9 (04/25/08 07:11 PM)

#147180 - 04/25/08 07:19 PM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

O I C! Then you know! My husband had a full Navy career as did his mother, father and step father! It rubs off, no?

Dancer

#147181 - 04/25/08 07:54 PM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: dancer9]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dancer, I was amazed to read about criminals being enlisted in the military. Oh brother. That is more than desperate.
I feel sorry for the innocent "good" guy, who enlists and has to bunk up with a criminal. Something is so very wrong with this picture.

This must be very draining work for you. I think I have said that before. I'm just so full of admiration. Especially a sensitive person of the arts, isn't too good to get involved with such heartbreaking work. I applaud you. Really.

#147182 - 04/25/08 11:21 PM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: Edelweiss]
dancer9 Offline

Thanks, Edelweiss. Yes, today's Army is not what yesterday's was! You can enter with a felony and at times a judge will sentence a violent offender to join the military!
They are doing this to fill the ranks but what after they ger out?

It upsets the older vet's a great deal too.

Dancer

#147184 - 04/27/08 01:04 AM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I firmly believe its another Vietnam. Our soldiers need to come home. Yet, I also believe that 'criminals' enlisting is better than jail, either way its our tax dollars and I'd like to give the kid a chance -- there are so many broken homes where young folks resort to criminal activity. Actually, I believe its only the Army that recruits criminals or 'misfits' with moral waivers to meet enlistment quota. These are minor offenses, not murder, i.e. larceny, trespassing, vandalism, arson, burglary, aggravated assault, breaking and entering, or marijuana possession. However, those committing homicide, sexual violence, or drug trafficking are not eligible.

I know it does not sound pretty, but if these kids don't get straightened out in basic training or during their enlistment, then they have no hope and may end up in some type of prison (military or civil). Yet, if they clean up and prove themselves honorably to society and themselves, then we've all done something good.

I'm a vet.

#147185 - 04/27/08 01:24 PM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I've never been in a literal warzone; but I do know what PTSD feels like. The worst thing for me, is when I'm startled. I nearly jump out of my skin. The other is being extremely sensitive to everything that happens around me.
The third is 2nd guessing whatever I do. I'm glad for anyone that gets help with PTSD. Attempting to get above it,
is a real challenge. America should treat those that put their lives on the line for her freedom. And its comforting to know, help is there.

#147186 - 04/27/08 06:23 PM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: jabber]
dancer9 Offline

Jabber, Your PTSD is as important and as hard as anyone elses. You should never think that it is easier for you than it is for say, a vet! PTSD has no "worse, or better," it's just there and it hurts everyone the same. A vet can participate in a group with PTSD where no one else has war trauma! The same symptoms, the same problems, come with the disease.

I'm sorry, truthfully, for yours. Are you getting help?

Dancer

#147187 - 04/27/08 06:36 PM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

Mustang Gal,
I thank you for your service! What branch were you in? You are a strong woman, I see.

Dancer

#147188 - 04/27/08 11:04 PM Re: Our military and PTSD [Re: dancer9]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, USAF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved