I'm not sure this belongs here in that it is not truly a mental illness.
I am considering writing a book about the subject of "loneliness" and would welcomde any comments you might have.
I think there is a hidden epidemic of it in the world today and it seems to often be the root cause of addictions, hypochondria, unhealthy relationships, beating disorders, suicide and many other conditions.
I believe being alone is a normal, even desirable aspect of life, but loneliness is painful and terrifies not only to the lonely person, but others as well.
It is such a social taboo in America today and people seem to be terrified of 'catching it.' They avoid lonely people even if they are lonely themselves and would benefit from social contact. More and more people seem to be isolated and the rate of it seems to increase with age.
I know so many older people who have lost mates and are simply lonely. It kills people every day in nursing homes and it's so sad to see.
Being stressed, too busy, and over committed is socially acceptable, but being lonely or even healthfully alone is simply a stigma. Many of the new prozac drugs seem to mask loneliness by changing brain chemistry, but surely there is a better way. Maybe there is some way it can be addressed more effectively through society.
Any comments here?
smile