Like lots of people, I find this a difficult time of year. Actually, I'm feeling a lot better just reading all of your postings!

The fact that I'm Jewish means that I didn't grow up with a Christmas tradition. But my family was kind of disfunctional, and really didn't observe anything else, other than insanity...

I've never been married, and although I have lots of acquaintences, I don't currently have close friends, the kind I'd party/commiserate with this time of year. I'm also having some professional/ financial issues. Combine all that turning 50, and a lifetime battle with depression, and there's nothing much "merry" about Christmas.

I read some other postings about inviting people who are alone this time of year. It's a nice thought, but if it's not your family or your peer group, folks you know and can relate to, these kinds of events just feel awkward.

Sorry for being so negative. You wouldn't know it, but in public I usually come off as friendly and funny. But why do they have to BLAST those @&*(^$ Christmas songs in every !@#$% store! If I'm told to have myself a "merry little Christmas" one more time I'm just going to....

Thanks for letting me vent. I just discovered this site, and it seems really great.

Have a decent day, everyone!