I am gonna present a lot of information describing a disorder then get to the question i like to aske you.

Borderline personality disorder

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is defined within psychiatry and related psychological fields as a mental disorder characterized primarily by emotional dysregulation, extreme "black and white" thinking, or "splitting" (believing that something is one of only two possible things, and ignoring any possible "in-betweens"), and chaotic relationships. It is described by mental health professionals as a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in mood, interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior, and a disturbance in the individual's sense of self.
The disturbances suffered by those with borderline personality disorder have a wide-ranging and pervasive negative impact on many or all of the psychosocial facets of life, including employability and relationships in work, home, and social settings.

The latest version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), the widely-used American Psychiatric Association guide for clinicians seeking to diagnose mental disorders, defines Borderline Personality Disorder ("B.P.D." or BPD) as: "a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image and affects, as well as marked impulsivity, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts."[1]. BPD is classed on "Axis II", as an underlying pervasive or personality condition, rather than "Axis I" for more circumscribed mental disorders. A DSM diagnosis of BPD requires any five out of nine listed criteria to be present for a significant period of time. There are thus 256 different combinations of symptoms that could result in a diagnosis, of which 136 have been found in practice in one
study[2]

The criteria are:
1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. [Not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]
2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, promiscuous sex, eating disorders, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). [Again, not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]
5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior.
6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.
8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.
--- from the DSM-IV-TR, 301.83.
Overall the personality will try a variety of behaviours to avoid abandonment real or imaginary, physical abandonment or just mental or emotional. The behaviour will and can range from sweet talking, manipulation, lies about their own lives or those closest to them to elicit a empathetic or sympathetic responses (to promote closeness or stop abandonment) Anger and rage.

this is me talking
Some of you know I am doing a bit of research into something that’s related generally to this personality type. What I am hoping for is to provide myself with some background information or insight into this disorder and a specific behaviour (If I tell you what exactly, you will know what I am looking for within your answers and it risks affecting your answer). Mania people with this disorder are within the community, function within the workplaces, in relationships, mothers and fathers within churches etc. chances are since it’s such a widespread disorder you know or have known someone with this disorder.

I am generally wondering what your experiences were, did they or you know about this disorder (many are undiagnosed until the behaviour gets too extreme). What did you think was up with the individual as many people will sense something has gone array but not know exactly what it is. What was the context is which you meet/ had contact with them, for example the workplaces, how was it experientially working with such individuals, which types of situations arose, how were they resolved etc. Did any other strange or dysfunctional behaviours come or were used by these individuals?

If you can sensitively share your experiences I really appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by Dotsie (04/05/07 12:32 PM)