The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 208 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#36112 - 04/19/06 02:45 AM ADD help
Debi Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas
Thanks Dotsie,
I should do that. This is a great group to be with and talk things over with. I have CP and now being told I may have this as well. It's a bit of a shock but it would explain things from my childhood and things I have done as an adult.

May 8th I have an appointment to see what the problem is and to what extent. Any free site or information I can read on line would be great. I definately welcome any and all comments or help.

Thanks for being there, sorry I am not here as often as I used to be.

Debi

#36113 - 04/19/06 03:58 AM Re: ADD help
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Debi go to the BWS main page scroll all the way down and type in under google;

AttentionDeficitDisorder.com

and click the topic that comes up which then displays many topics to look through rgarding ADD...

#36114 - 04/19/06 04:08 AM Re: ADD help
Debi Offline

Thank you chatty Lady.

Debi

#36115 - 04/19/06 08:21 PM Re: ADD help
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Great book called "Delivered from Distraction" gave my husband lots of insight into his ADD. I also learned from his comments. For example, I know that there is "now" and "not now." So I only give him one thing at a time to do! We are both less frustrated. :-))

#36116 - 04/19/06 08:43 PM Re: ADD help
Debi Offline

Casey thank you. As anyone who knows me knows finding a book is my first choice because I love to read. Doing one thing at a time is great, now for me to figure out how to figure out which is the most important and second and so forth, that has always been my problem. Then there are days I see myself "outside" myself is that wierd? I will look into the book and see where it leads , Thank you .

Debi

#36117 - 04/19/06 10:39 PM Re: ADD help
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I haven't read that book, but I've heard it's a great one.

Two of my three children have ADD:one is adopted, the other biological. One takes medicine, the other does not. The one who takes medicine benefits greatly form it. The one who doesn't, has tried and is aware it's helpful, but doesn't liek the side effects. I think it's a blessing to know the medicine is there for those who need it.

I once took my child's ritalin instead of my vitamin becuase I've never taken medicine that wasn't prescribed to me.

I have to tell you, I could really tell a difference in the way I felt that day. I was MUCH more focused. I wouldn't be surprised if I learned I had it.

Debi, please know that the help that's available is tremendous. I wouldn't worry if I were you. Learn the final diagnosis and give the medicine a try if you have to. It may be a good thing.

#36118 - 04/19/06 11:39 PM Re: ADD help
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
With me, I go in circles. Start out doing something and jump to something else before I've finished the first thing. I'm constantly distracted. I used to take Ritalin and it really helped me but I don't take it anymore. It's just a form of speed and for those who have ADD it will often work the opposite. It doesn't speed you up but calms you down.

My oldest son is ADD and to calm himself down, he drinks coffee.

Debi, I understand how you're feeling. Besides ADD I also suffer from OCD. It changes a life but you can learn to live with it. I talked to a counselor about it and he gave me helpful advice. Most times, I'm compelled to count things and he told me to do it when I was stressed because it was my minds way of trying to cope with stress. I had to teach myself to not do it when not stressed. It isn't easy but it works when applied.

Just don't beat up on yourself because of this.

#36119 - 04/20/06 07:19 AM Re: ADD help
Debi Offline

Thank you all for your support. Saw a counselor today and we did the back ground assessment and will be meeting once a week. My ADD assessment is May 8th, I will let you all know what was found.

I think volunteering with this group of women may be the best thing I have done in a while.

#36120 - 04/20/06 05:47 PM Re: ADD help
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Debi, keep working on your self. You're worth it! I hope you see this new diagnosis as a way to help yourself.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved