The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#141505 - 02/08/08 10:38 PM Books to read ...
FitlySpoken Offline

Loc: US
Online - I have read the wonderful books by the Bronte' Sisters . Wow. Now those girls could write.

I'm reading Jane Austin's books now online. Makes me look like a complete amateur indeed. I can only wonder and be amazed at the inspiration & talent
these girls came up with. I know there are a lot of great authors out there, & right here also. But am completely enraptured with the writing styles from the generations the Bronte' Sisters came from & Jane Austin.

Anyone else been there?

C.
www.freewebs.com/awordfitlyspoken

#141506 - 02/16/08 01:41 PM Re: Books to read ... [Re: FitlySpoken]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I just read The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. Great book. I love all his books.

#141507 - 02/16/08 01:49 PM Re: Books to read ... [Re: Louisa]
Mountain Ash Offline

Yes The Bronte's I even visited Haworth their home.
Jane Austin yes yes yes.
What about Dicken's..I HAD to use it as text and despite having resisted it when younger I really got into Hard Times.
Saw social comment and recall much of it as being so wise.I inherited all Dickens books and they mostly as yet unread..
Will set this as a resolution.
MA

#141508 - 02/16/08 08:59 PM Re: Books to read ... [Re: Mountain Ash]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Upton Sinclair's book, The Jungle. It's an old old book about the meat-packing industry in Chicago. The original version is very descriptive and not for weak stomachs. The revised version has been tamed down a bit and has chapters cut out. I still have my original book from high school. It's a keeper to be reread from time to time.

#141509 - 02/18/08 01:38 AM Re: Books to read ... [Re: Cookie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I will say something utterly blasephemous...I wasn't keen at that time, when I was required in my Victoria literature course to read Austen's stuff. Charles Dickens, the great social commentator ..also I had problems wading through the texts..

James Joyce's Ulysses, is a difficult but tour de force book. I would like to retackle that book again one day..his stream of consciousness technique is serious literary mountainclimbing that taxes reader's understanding but after reading a section, I am in awe. And it is a literary device, that many novelists use now.

"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad is the adult colonial complement to Golding's "Lord of the Flies". Lord Jim should be a must for everyone to understand colonial/political invasion of not just another conquered country, but terrible mental and physical abuses to others. I read Conrad's book before after I saw the movie "Apocolypse Now" by Coppola. The movie packed a powerful punch to the theatre audience where I was..many people just standing in shock, as the film credits roll by.

On a more positive note, even as a teenager I did reread, Louisa May alcott's "Little Women". It resonated well particularly for those with many sisters and a brother. Probably my inspiration from fiction for young women to become accomplished, to speak up, get educated, etc.... came from the characterization of Jo/Josephine. I finally found a true bookworm, feisty heroine...in a novel.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved