The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40921 - 02/25/06 06:17 PM How do you do it?
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Perhaps I've been asking the wrong question. Do you, ladies, edit your own work, ask a friend to look at it, or hire a professional? This is my first book (non-fiction). I can no longer see it and need another set of eyes. Thoughts, please! I had no luck on preditors and editors. Thank you. Saundra

#40922 - 02/25/06 07:15 PM Re: How do you do it?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Saundra, I hired an editor and she was great. She keeps me on track, which is good because my mind and words wander.

#40923 - 02/26/06 08:31 AM Re: How do you do it?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
It's really up to you. Do you have a critique group where you can share your works and help each other edit?

Sometimes, authors can edit their own work, but it takes a lot of work to wear both hats.

Like Dianne said, it's great to have a paid editor who can really look at your work and help you make it better.

#40924 - 02/26/06 07:35 PM Re: How do you do it?
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Hi, Vicki and Diane. Thanks, I understand the concept. I'm attemtping to find an editor-no luck so far. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to share how they found theirs or share their editor's name and email if they ahd a great experience. I think it's better to have a referral, rather than take chance over the Internet where I received a coma-inducing fee quote and the guy wouldn't answer questions. Onward . . . Saundra [Smile]

#40925 - 02/26/06 09:15 PM Re: How do you do it?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Saundra,
I hired an editor, did my own editing, AND the publisher had an editor who performed the third and final editing task of the book. We still missed stuff. Go figure. But I've been told this is very common. And it certainly didn't hurt sales.

I also do editing for people on a limited basis. I don't have a lot of time to edit, but will do some. I DO NOT give a "full up" editing of mannies. I do what is called a "run-thru" and therefore, cheaper than most editing jobs.

It's proof-reading, spelling, and grammar and I make suggestions where needed. In other words, I refuse to rewrite your book. I could probably find you an editor's name to give you a full editing job, if this is what you are interested in?

But by all means, do NOT try to edit your own work. You more than likely have it memorized and will not do it justice.

JJ

#40926 - 02/27/06 01:13 AM Re: How do you do it?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
nancy@writing-pro.com

Her name is Nancy Christie and she's fantastic. Tell her Dianne sent you.

#40927 - 02/27/06 02:12 AM Re: How do you do it?
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Here's a story about why it's so important to get a fresh set of eyes. I put out a children's eBook as a free download to promote my children's print book. The eBook is about how Chizzy, the monkey, snuck (and I was told I should have used 'sneaked' ??), down a tree and ran off with his friend, Dotty. Here's the stanza:

Shadows stretched long, and noises grew scary.
Eyes in the dark made us shiver.
A growl from the trees made us weak in the knees.
And Dotty ran home to her river.

Well, guess what? I had "A growl from the trees made us week in our knees."

Now several people had looked it over, but all were familiar with the story. It wasn't until it was up on the web for all to see, and downloaded several dozen times, that someone saw fit to tell me. LOL!!! OH, boy! Was my face red!!!

And anyone that knows me knows that I go over and over stuff before I send it in.

Get fresh eyes. It's worth it. I hope you find a wonderful editor.

*Here's a link to the eBook. Please - feel free to tell me if you see any other mistakes! [Big Grin]

Chizzy's Topsy Turvy Tale

(It's a .pdf file.)

#40928 - 02/27/06 05:05 AM Re: How do you do it?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Saundra the critique group we have right here on Boomers consists of many writers and I personally do professional critiquing for LRWG so why not join us via Dotsie (for the password)and maybe our eyes can be of service to you..and its free cause you're a boomer.

[ February 26, 2006, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#40929 - 02/27/06 06:48 PM Re: How do you do it?
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Wow, Chatty. Excellent suggestion!

#40930 - 02/27/06 06:56 PM Re: How do you do it?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Donna,
I do that sort of thing all the time! LOL You are not alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved