The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 52 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#37250 - 09/25/03 10:26 PM Book Proposals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This week I'm definitely lost in book proposal land and I can't get out. [Razz]

I have always read that we should write what we know and then the writing is second nature.

I have to admit I am loving this proposal stuff because I am sorting through all these beautiful, fun, moving, inspiring stories that have been written by some of you!

Since I'm doing an anthology I get to write and introduce all the stories and it is sooo much fun!

I must say taht I am extremely grateful I payed attention onthe days I learned how to do Outlines in Catholic school. Boy do they come in handy from an organizational stand-point.

Hope all you other writers in here are enjoying the writing processes you are going through right now!

Remember...submit, submit, submit!

#37251 - 09/25/03 11:26 PM Re: Book Proposals
Sandy Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dotsie, could you tell me who the publisher is for your book? Sandy

#37252 - 09/26/03 04:37 PM Re: Book Proposals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sandy, I have an agent who is working with me. Next step is getting the publisher. I have confidence though because I have a great agent (Deborah Levine Herman) who won't give up lightly so I keep moving onward. [Big Grin]

#37253 - 09/27/03 11:27 PM Re: Book Proposals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dotsie, I need to pic your brain about getting an agent. I am feeling betrayed by my nice,new publisher, who failed to put the actual costs of publishing into my contract for my cookbook. I found out less than a month ago that she was going to charge me for a few things... I'm not sure if she's going to try to retro-charge me for things she originally told me were not my responsiblity, or even if we are speaking the same language... but I'm really, really tired of the B.S., rather the incredible load of cow pies that self-publishing is turning out to be!

I originally had great hopes and great respect for my current publisher... because I explained to her that I had no clue how to do a freakin' market analysis, but I had a great book or two to offer her. She took me at my word, and gave me a chance.... but now it's going to cost me almost $500 to put each book into print, not including book covers (which were supposed to be at no cost to me, unless I changed my mind and demand unreasonable stuff... which I haven't! And I have already submitted my business plan to my agency that's trying to help me get started... with the costs I knew about at the time... so now I have to start all over again with the stinking business plan!

I'm so sick at heart about this that I can't even bear to call her up and discuss this in order to clarify things. I am thinking that if I could get an agent, I could get an advocate who would do all the gut-wrenching parts of sending stuff out, negotiating, and doing the repetitive stuff that drives me crazy, like getting rejected over and over again. If I could find someone who actually has contacts in the industry, who KNOWS who is likely to LOVE my book and who isn't... well, maybe I could make some money off my efforts. I'm not talking about being rich, just getting something like the return from the minimum wage job that I'mphysically unable to do.

Anyway, sorry, this seems to be bitching day for me.... I just can't stop writing and writing, lol.... but do you (or anyone else) have some thoughts about this? I really, really need to get started on my career... and I'm tired of getting sucker-punched......

[Confused] HELP!!!!

Lovingly yours,
Lil

#37254 - 09/29/03 04:11 PM Re: Book Proposals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lil, I am not ignoring you. I am going to answer this question when I have a little more tome to do it right.

Also, I am willing to chat with you by phone if you want. I'll email you my number.

#37255 - 09/29/03 04:34 PM Re: Book Proposals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dotsie, Darlin', it would never occur to me in a million years that you would be ignoring me. Iknow you're busy, and I know this is not a simple question... I would LOVE to chat with you! I get unlimited minutes on my phone on the weekends... is that a good time for me to call? Anyway, don't worry about me, if you can help me in any way, it's totally at *your* convenience, Hon!
Hugs & Blessings,
Lil

#37256 - 09/30/03 01:32 AM Re: Book Proposals
Sandra Offline

Loc: Virginia
I can tell you of a possibility for getting your cookbook published-not through a self-publish. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to make it a success in the way of sales-at least not enough to depend on for income.
If you need money, try writing for magazines and anthologies.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved