The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 100 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37356 - 11/17/03 02:10 AM help !!!
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
if you're asked to write a "bio" for an article --what do you write ???

after name & location -- what else can you say if you're a complete novice -- ???

suggestions or links to samples would be greatly apprectiated [Smile]

#37357 - 11/17/03 03:22 AM Re: help !!!
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
LP, what kind of article have you written? That might guide you a bit about what you should compose for a bio. Have they asked for a certain length? Some will ask for "three lines" and others "a few brief paragraphs."

Usually a bio will contain a bit of personal info and some other writing credits if you have them. If you've written an article and something you've done or experienced helps give credence to your words, then be sure to include that.

If you wanna see a bio sample probably Dotsie and jawjaw have ones you could check out. You can check out mine, too -- www.LititzPa.com/voices/keyman or a slightly different one at www.TyrannosaurusPress.com (click into the Illuminata link and select "meet the editors."

good luck!

PS: just realized you won't get the bio link directly by going to www.LititzPa.com/voices/keyman. Once there you will still have to click on the link at the left marked "News & Voices." That will take you to a page with the bio link (at the top of the page).

[ November 16, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: garrie keyman ]

#37358 - 11/17/03 05:20 AM Re: help !!!
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Do you have any of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books? There are several pages of bios in the back of them. I looked at those for my last bio to give me ideas on how to word mine.

Hope that helps!

Donna

#37359 - 11/17/03 06:10 PM Re: help !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
LP,
Bio's

1) give it a lot of thought because it will follow you.

2) Write it where you can use it/expand on it in the future

3) So make sure you tell how to get in touch with you

4) Remember, you never know WHO is going to be reading this bio...could be the editor of another pub

5) If you HAVEN'T been published before, DON'T tell it! Say something like "Doda has written over 53 essays and numerous poems which can be view at bla..bla..bla... and if you don't have a web page, just say something like "you can enjoy more of Doda's work by writing her at bla...bla...bla...

HOPE THESE TIPS HELP!

#37360 - 11/18/03 02:33 AM Re: help !!!
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
thanks ladies -- i checked out chicken soup for the writers soul and boy, it sure is chilly in philly and queen -- i'll take your advice on telling little fibs [Smile]

but -- gee -- it sure could get depressing -- seeing in writing that your life won't even fill up 3 lines [Wink]

guess i should really do this website thing -- like you say jawjaw -- you never know who's lurking in the shadows [Smile]

i wouldn't have quessed that my hardest writing assignment would be a bio [Big Grin]

#37361 - 11/18/03 03:56 AM Re: help !!!
DonnaJ Offline

I know what you mean. I was paralyzed when it came time to write a bio for the Chicken Soup people. I just kept thinking of all the people that would see it. Then I wrote it up, sent it to the editor and she re-did it for me. LOL!

The bio you send does depend on what type of piece you are having published. Is it a fun piece? Write a funny bio. Is it for a Christian magazine? Include your church affiliation and a little bit of your testimony. You may e-mail me if you want.

The first few I did, I hadn't had anything published and I still don't have a website, so don't let that stop you! [Smile]

Donna J.

#37362 - 11/18/03 05:47 AM Re: help !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Girl,
You absolutely DO NOT have to have a web site! I hope you didn't think that is what I was saying? I didn't have one forever and I never let that stop me one bit.

Yes, it is nice to have one but quiet frankly, the only reason I decided to build one was that it was easier to show case my articles.

You do what works best for YOU! That is what is important.

#37363 - 11/18/03 06:38 AM Re: help !!!
DonnaJ Offline

I can write all day about someone else, but when it comes to writing about me, totally different. But that's part of writing- selling yourself and the stuff you write.

BTW, Queen JawJaw, great site! I checked it out more thoroughly. Funny stuff on there!

Donna

#37364 - 11/18/03 06:51 AM Re: help !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Gee thanks DonnaJ. Appreciate the kudos! Send money...

#37365 - 11/18/03 04:10 PM Re: help !!!
DonnaJ Offline

No way! Not after that 'gas' statement! [Big Grin]

Donna

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved