The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#37723 - 04/29/04 03:29 AM women writers
emmy Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hi, all!
Today I received my last lesson back from the Institute for Children's Literature. I have finished a writing course for children's literature with them. I took my time, but it's done. I am working on a novel for Young Adults. I want to reach as many at risk kids as I can with it.
Emmy

#37724 - 04/29/04 04:54 AM Re: women writers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Emmy, that sounds sooo interesting. Could you please explain what the term "at risk" kids is about? I'm not familiar with it. Congrats on finishing the course. I think writing a novel for young adults is a great, untapped market. Here's sending positive energy your way for great success!

#37725 - 04/29/04 06:07 AM Re: women writers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Congradulations on your graduation. People not enrolled in this school have no idea how tough it is to graduate. As you have told me it takes a very active, imagination to write. How right you are. Well my dear friend, I patiently await your book. Love you..... [Wink]

#37726 - 04/29/04 03:51 PM Re: women writers
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Emmy,
Congratulations on completing the children's writing course. I hope it is helpful to you in your project.

Tell us more about the institute. Is it online? If sh where? I've written plays and musicals for children for several years, but I'm just now venturing into children's books and it's much harder than I expected. Would love to have some instruction.

smile

#37727 - 04/30/04 06:37 AM Re: women writers
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Wow, Emmy. I'm impressed! The ICL is supposed to be invaluable if you are writing for children. I have several friends who are in the midst of it. I'd love to do it myself eventually.

Congratulations!

Donna
www.worthfinding.com

#37728 - 05/01/04 09:06 PM Re: women writers
emmy Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Thanks from all of you in regard to my ICL graduation.

Jawjaw: "at risk" is modern day psychology, sociology and education jargon. It used to be enclosed in quotation marks, but now you see it all the time, just as part of a piece of writing as though it's acceptable English. It refers to those children in our society who are at risk of dropping out of school because of social issues, or of getting into serious trouble with the law or with other members (predatory) of our society who are ready to exploit their ignorance and their innocence.
Emmy

Smilin': Look up www.institutechildrenslit.com on Google, and it will take you right to the site. Part of the site is restricted, because you have to be a student and have a password to get in; however, there is lots to read and you should have a pretty good idea of how to get into the course by the time you're finished. There is even a downloadable aptitude test to send off. Hope I've helped!
Emmy

#37729 - 05/02/04 04:21 AM Re: women writers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Thank you so much Emmy for enlightening me. I have heard the term used before, but I wasn't sure where your goals were leading you as far as "at risk" children were concerned, or your novel. In other words, I guess I wasn't clear if you meant kids of suscide, poverty-stricken, abused, etc...sad to say but the list is very long, isn't it? I am sure I can speak for all when I say to please keep us informed about your novel and whenever you can, give us more details about it. Best of luck to you!

JJ

#37730 - 05/04/04 08:14 PM Re: women writers
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Congratulations, Emmy! Mucho much success for you in your writing!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved