The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38380 - 09/04/04 07:05 AM I'm new to writing, any advice?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi all,
I just signed on to the forums. I'm just starting to get serious with my writing. (this is my first forum also) Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

#38381 - 09/04/04 07:20 AM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
My best advice would be try not to get discouraged, persevere, do your research well and take advantage of all the great writing resources that are available both online and in your local library. If you have any specific questions, I'm sure those of us who write would be happy to help! This forum is chock full of helpful people and everyone is very supportive of each other's efforts - whatever they may be.

Welcome to Dotsie's AWESOME Forum! [Smile]

#38382 - 09/04/04 07:24 AM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
TVC15 Offline

Thanks for the warm welcome! I do most of my studying and research online. Is there any books you'd recommend?

#38384 - 09/03/04 10:19 PM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
TVC15 Offline

Thank you, we may get some rough weather if it turns but hopefully not to bad, I'm situated in the middle of the state so probably mostly rain.

#38385 - 09/07/04 06:41 PM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
TVC, I highly recommend all the books on writing that are listed on the RECENT READS page of this site. The only one that may not be worth your while is Get Your First Book Published, by Jason Shindler. Sorry, but it wasn't one of my favorites. The others are chock full of great information. I wish you all the best!

#38386 - 09/07/04 06:52 PM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
TVC15--I'm so glad Dotsie brought this post back up because I didn't see you come in! WELCOME GIRL! I bet I'm not the only one who missed your entrance.

Now, as far as the writing...give us a tad more to go on. What kind of writing do you offer? Mysteries? Romance? fiction? non-?

Also, do you write short stories? poems? Or are you writing a novel?

I'm sure everyone would be interested in knowing. It would also help us when offering sage bits and pieces of wisdom...

I think you are going to find that this forum will be a God-send not only for your writing needs, but for friendships too.

Now, I'm the resident Queen but you don't have to do the bowing and scraping thing anymore...just a simple curtsey will do...teehee... [Big Grin]

what?

JJ

#38387 - 09/08/04 07:11 AM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
TVC15 Offline

(curtsying in respect)
Hail to the queen,

I've been dabbling in quite a bit lately, trying to find my niche. I have had the most success with my personal essays. But . . . I really like short stories. I love the horror genre but when I write em they turn out more like comedies...LOL

Mostly, I've been entering contests. I'm using them as a learning tool. They give me a topic and a definite deadline and word count to adhere to.

I've had a couple essays published online and one in The Front Porch. Also have a couple essays waiting for anthology publications.

Thanks for the welcome and interest!
Robin

#38388 - 09/07/04 08:08 PM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
gee wiz...in my opinion, the horror category is a tuffie...I couldn't begin to write in that area simply because I just don't have the guts or what it takes. You go girl. I can't even watch scary commercials on TV without getting spooked. HA! Whimp? You bet!

A lot of people take a genre and use humor with it. Nothing to say you can't, eh? Like a lot of mysteries holding drama, also include humor sprinkled here and there. I like the added element. So why not humor in horror?

I think entering contest is an excellent way of building up a portfoilo and getting your name out there. (Don't forget I have one on my web page) Very smart on your part girlfriend.

Also, lots of people look for interesting and NEW, BUDDING writers to feature on their web pages...so you might want to seek out horror sites and see if they are interested in featuring you and one of your stories...??? Just a thought. MAKE SURE they are credible sites first though. I would check to see if there's any bad publicity about them...like on predators and editors...

Once again welcome and don't be shy. Ask anything you want, contribute anything you want and comment on anything you want...

It's a great home and very addictive. You'll find yourself wanting to check in each day with THA SISTAHS...and now, you are one.

Hugs
JJ

#38389 - 09/07/04 08:35 PM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Hi ya'll
I'm still limping along with the computer from hell. The fixit folks keep telling me it's fixed. Maybe this time.

Anyway, JJ IS the QUEEN of BWS and of HUMOR, but I wanted to chime in on her comments about the horror genre. Horror scares me too. Publishers alone are horrible enough for me.

But, back to the Humor in Horror (Hey, there's a title for ya, jj) One of my professors advised us to write from our heart and to address the heart of our reader. Sounded good, but how? If writing gets too sappy it turns the reader off.
Then a pastor who produced some of my work told me the way to open a person's heart for a message from the pulpit is to either lead them to sing or make them laugh then communicate the message. In my plays and musicals I try to tickle them, make them sing, break their hearts, then send them home with a smile. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but...
Maybe that would work with horror too. Seems like horror often addresses the passions, but not necessarily the heart. Maybe a little humor might be a novel approach.
Hey, you gotta' do what you gotta' do. Right JJ?
smile

#38390 - 09/07/04 11:23 PM Re: I'm new to writing, any advice?
TVC15 Offline

Jawjaw,
I know you won't believe me now but I didn't even know about your contest until I checked out your website....Anyway, you can bet that you'll be getting an entry from me! (great site too)

Don't worry, it won't be scary, might not be funny either but hey, I'll try!

Thanks ladies for all the good advice and I think I'm going to like it here! Wish I came on board sooner, like months ago when Dotsie mentioned it in an email. Better late then never. That's what I say about my writing also.

Love the name smilinize!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved