The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 84 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#42067 - 06/30/05 10:28 AM to pursue is the question
msdiana Offline

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
heyas,
my 19 yr old brought me an envelope she'd decorated to send to her boyfriend in iraq...
it was exquisite...so much of what she creates is just that: exquisite...from scratch and entirely by her own hand she makes cards, creates envelopes, builds collages, etc...it's not just the collages she makes, it's what she does with them (bookjackets for friends, gift wrap, wall coverings, etc)...i suggested to her in passing that she ought to pursue a stationary line of some kind or a job with hallmark...
she stopped me in my tracks when she said "i don't know how to pursue anything"...
this caught me off guard not only because it was such an honest and abrupt assessment of self, but also because it's mine as well...
i don't know how to pursue things, i just do things, and now it's glaringly obvious that i've passed on this inability...
for all my creativeness and resourcefulness (i can make much out of nothing), i've no idea how to even go about making something of it all...
i find it most disconcerting that yet another generation of my family might almost-but-not-quite-make-it just because no one knows what to do with the talents they have...
i thought it was good to develop my children's talents but it's not enough...when i can't even market myself, how in the world am i to teach my children how to market themselves?
channeling energy and networking with others seems to be what it's all about but i don't know where to start...
i've always lamented deep down inside that i don't know the first thing about finding an editor, and while that would be great, it's more important that i don't let my children's dreams slide just because i don't know how to lead them or in what direction to point them to get them started...i thought getting them in college would be all i'd need to do and it is a great start (one i was never afforded) but clearly it's not enough...
does anyone have thoughts?

#42068 - 06/30/05 04:52 PM Re: to pursue is the question
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
You bring up a very valid point, Msdiana. I went to college - I had an advisor; but he really didn't advise me much. I think there was a lot of assumption on his part that I would 'know' what to do next. I didn't. Because of that, I'm not working in my degree field - probably never will. But here's a link I find helpful:http://www.infomarketnetwork.org/
It costs a bit, but I believe thoroughly that the information could help you. I wouldn't say so otherwise; and I have no $ benefit by telling you about it.

#42069 - 06/30/05 06:59 PM Re: to pursue is the question
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
msdiana, my gut reaction is research. Try going to the library and speaking with the librarian. Tell her that you want to help your daughter market her art. If your library is anything like ours, she'll lead you to a whole section of books. Check out a bunch and get started.

I also recommend the internet. Do some Googles:
-marketing art
-designing cards
-writing cards

Other Googles ladies?

It may be a good idea for her to create a website and work from there. That way when she emails and inquires, people could see her work online.

#42070 - 07/01/05 07:46 AM Re: to pursue is the question
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Find a small shop in your area that is privately owned and show her work. Ask if they will do consignment. Keep searching until you find one. They are out there and especially when her work is so special.

I'd steer clear of the big boys (companies). They can and will steal the idea and she will be left in the cold. She could do better starting her own small company.

#42071 - 06/30/05 11:36 PM Re: to pursue is the question
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Msdiana, I think I understand your situation. Recently I have been guilty of not pursuing opportunities and developing the talents given to me by God. For me it feels like a sin.
I wrote about that in the "opportunities an blessing" topic. I also wrote about how I once pursued things in the "What is your Ultimate Goal" topic.
I honestly believe that turning one's dreams into goals by writing them down is almost magic. I've seen it work in companies and organizations all over the country. Maybe that would work for your daughter.
I believe that dreaming and logic occur in different parts of the brain and do not function well at the same time.
If your daughter focuses her intellect on her dreams, she will identify logical steps she can take to make to make them come true. And if she writes them down, she won't have to dream them up in her imagination every day.
She can just focus her intellect on achieving the goals she has written down.
Of course as Dotsie has said, a big part of any plan is research. There is so much information out there on the internet. I can't think of anything that is not covered and it's all at our fingertips.
I'm sure both you and your daughter can find a way to turn your dreams into goals and achieve them if you seriously try and are willing to do the work.
I have recenlty resurrected my own life plan recently and I'm trying to focus on it without lapsing into dreaming. I think it is already beginning to work.
Work and pray.
smile

#42072 - 06/30/05 11:42 PM Re: to pursue is the question
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I wonder if one of the problems some of us have with "pursuing" things is that we are so overwhelmed by the possibilities and opportunities that face us when we begin to pursue, or even just research how to pursue something. I know that "being overwhelmed" continues to be a huge problem for me in almost every facet of my life, perhaps a continuing remnant from my burnout and chronic fatigue, but possibly of relevance here anyway.

I've learned that I have to break everything down into smaller manageable chunks of "can do" and then deal with each small chunk of research or possibility at a time, slowly putting the managed dealt-with chunks together until I come up with a whole idea or goal that's not overwhelming, something that's within my realm of possibility and capability.

I use that breakdown philosophy for everything now, because my fatigue and anxiety make everything too overwhelming. And when too overwhelmed by too much at one time, I become frustrated and too tired to continue, and then that spirals into the temptation to just give up and give in to futility, which is toxic and dangerous ground for me. So whether it be preparing tonight's supper, following an exercise regime, pain management, writing, even coming here somedays, I have to break things down into bite-size chunks of time or capability that are easier for me to digest.

I don't know if that helps at all, it may not be relevant to your situation, Msdiana, but I think that giving in to futility is becoming a deadly infectious epidemic these days and we do have to watch for signs of it in the seemingly insignificant choices we make from day to day.

#42073 - 07/01/05 12:10 AM Re: to pursue is the question
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Here are some other links that might be of some help.

http://www.bizymoms.com/ideas/notecard.html

http://www.bizymoms.com/ideas/greetmail.html

I agree with Dotsie wholeheartedly on creating a web-site. That is actually a fantastic way to start.

Here is some advise on building your own web-site written by one of our members Sher.

How to Make a Web Page

Hope this helps and God Bless.

Cheers,
Cathi

[ June 30, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Optimumsteps ]

#42074 - 07/01/05 12:12 AM Re: to pursue is the question
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Eagle,
I completely agree with you. I have said the same thing. I guess by this age, we all have so many obligations and so many dreams that they all just continuoulsy circle in our minds and most of them never go anywhere. There simply is not enough time. And if we focus on only one, the others are neglected. I suppose we have to somehow prioritize our obligations, our wants, our needs, our thoughts, our dreams, and pray for the guidance of God over it all.

Sorting all that out is what a written plan is supposed to accomplish. I believe they are extremely helpful, but even to do one is requires a lot of focus.

I'm trying to work my way through this time of circling around in life going nowhere in particular. So many things are happening at once, it is difficult to grasp any one thing and it is equally difficult to turn loose of the other things.

Whew. It's a good thing kids don't have to deal with menopause. They couldn't handle it.
smile

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved