The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85332 - 08/15/06 07:55 PM Book reveiws?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I would like to know what one would want to be paid to read and write book reviews. Any thoughts? Books are delivered to your door, you read it, then write a review and keep the book.

#85333 - 08/15/06 09:03 PM Re: Book reveiws?
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Dotsie, you know me, always looking for ways to make extra $$. I'd like to throw my hat in the ring!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#85334 - 08/16/06 02:01 AM Re: Book reveiws? [Re: starting over]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I write book reviews for Long Ridge Writers Group. I also do them for the Boomer women whose books I buy and read but for free. If I were to charge a fee and be able to keep the book I think .03 cents a page would be affordable and fair.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#85335 - 08/16/06 04:04 PM Re: Book reveiws? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Okay, three cents a page. Any other ideas for what it's worth?

#85336 - 08/16/06 08:12 PM Re: Book reveiws?
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Dotsie,

I went out to the internet and pulled the following info from WritersMarket.com:

Summaries for book clubs/catalogues: $20 low, $40 mid- range, $75 high/hour.
Book summaries for book clubs: $50-100/book.

So I think the quoted 3 cents a page is within reason. I can work for that pricing too.

Patti

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#85337 - 08/17/06 12:03 AM Re: Book reveiws? [Re: starting over]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Just ask me ladies I researched this many years ago and have been sucessfully doing it since then. Some reviewers get greedy trying to get rich on one customer, not me. Be fair wih your price and you'll be busy all the time.

#85338 - 08/17/06 01:31 AM Re: Book reveiws? [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
This was basically my question on the topic "Get Paid to Read?" I would like to proof read, edit, and get paid to do reviews. Chatty, how do you go about getting customers? You said "you'll be busy all the time." Also, I wouldn't expect to be paid to review a boomer sister book, nor have I paid anyone to review my book. But I like writing reviews, and would certainly love to make money on it. I got the guidelines for reviewing for Midwest Book Review, and they don't pay. How do you make that money happen?

#85339 - 08/17/06 05:26 AM Re: Book reveiws? [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
At 3 cents a page, you'd have to read 667 pages an hour to make $20/hour. A 250-page book which paid you $50 would mean you got 20 cents/page.

Poet and essayist

#85340 - 08/17/06 06:43 PM Re: Book reveiws? [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Interesting ladies. Thanks for this information. I appreciate it.

#85341 - 08/17/06 09:32 PM Re: Book reveiws?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

For book reviewing I imagine one could charge whatever they could get someone to pay....Many of you may remember when I began my Real Estate paperwork business operating only in Las Vegas, I was very open and helpful to anyone asking me how to do it too. I gave many of you the complete strategy and full instructions of how to begin as you would not be competition for me....With the editing business its different as every editor everywhere is competition. I had many hits and misses in the beginning before testing my ideas and struggling to find my way, no one helped me and I understood. I charge a competitive fee that will help new writers and even though it is below the average fee charged, I still make a decent amount from each writer and don't gouge them. The writer receives the same results no matter what they pay, a manuscript thats ready for a publisher. Unlike my eagerness to help anyone in the RE business venture the editing business is different as every editor everywhere is competition. I struggled and found the way without any help from anyone, anywhere, and I bet you can all do the same, its really not that difficult. Sorry!

Edited by chatty lady (08/17/06 09:59 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved