The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#110058 - 03/05/07 03:57 AM Writing Rules - really?
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I'm questioning the writing rules on this site. Some of them sound old school. I'm posting the link for the fun of it... maybe even to create a good discussion of what writers use and don't use...Selekted Riting Wrules (WRITING RULES)

#110059 - 03/05/07 07:07 PM Re: Writing Rules - really? [Re: gims]
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Thanks for posting this. This sounds like something my old school marm would have written. I think it's good to know "the rules," but adhering to them doesn't necessarily make good writing. In writing fiction, I break a lot of those rules. I might use truncated sentences to add suspense or to relay a character's thoughts. All those rules go out the window when writing dialogue. Just some thoughts...
Marie

#110060 - 03/05/07 09:09 PM Re: Writing Rules - really? [Re: Katrinka]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Gimster,

Cute...all rules are made to be broken...unless I make them!

#110061 - 03/05/07 09:54 PM Re: Writing Rules - really? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am not a writer, but noticed that you have a new avatar. Finally accepting your "given" name, are ya?

Love your posts. Love the woman behind the posts.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#110062 - 03/06/07 09:47 PM Re: Writing Rules - really? [Re: Anno]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Wasn't it clever how the person "selekting and riting" the list of "wrules" played on the rule itself.
I think a great many of them are 'old school' - aren't they old English?
I think Katrinka is right, it's acceptable to break them. Can't help but to, on some of them.
When I'm writing, I find myself trying to conform to what I was taught. And, sometimes what I've written, sounds too formal. Then I'll quoi fish through it and really mess things up. My dad claims I use way too many commas. I was taught to use one at every natural pause. Hard to break sticking to that practice for me.

Anno, how SWEET of you. Back atchya!!! I thought the image was apopros for an avator for this forum (an individual from a sig site made it for me),... what the hay, a name is only a name.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved