The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165217 - 11/10/08 07:52 PM What is the nicest...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
thing anyone has ever done for you? Family member, girlfriend, stranger, or lover, anyone at all. The NICEST thing, maybe something that was completely unexpected. I need to think on this awhile but will be back with something.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#165221 - 11/10/08 08:09 PM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: chatty lady]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
oh my gosh, Chatty...there are wayyyy too many more-than-nice things that others have done for me in my almost 55 years! I'll bet this thread will show some wonderful people. Can we post more than once?? I have recent & old history when it comes to kindness of others! Two years ago my hubby took me to a beautiful jewelry store on Christmas Eve (he told me we were going elsewhere but he wanted me to first meet an old friend he had recently run into....who just happened to be the store manager). When we got inside, everything sparkled with Christmas. The manager came out to greet us and handed us each fluted glasses full of champagne. My sweetie turned to me with tears in eyes and said "Merry Christmas, baby...the skies the limit...pick anything you want!" Needless to say I was in shock...and cried. No one had ever done anything like that for me. I came away with a beautiful garnet ring surrounded with diamonds! Oh but there are so many other kind and beyond wonderful things that have been done for me!

#165248 - 11/11/08 12:12 AM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: ladyjane]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
What a great thread, Chatty. I too could contribute so many stories, my entire life is a series of wonderful things that people have done for me.

But one thing stands out bright and clear. I've shared it before, and it might sound corny being shared HERE in this thread, but it is by far the nicest thing anyone has ever done in my life.

My brother Gary was diagnosed with both diabetes and hodgkin's lymphoma at the same time. One of our major problems during the months of chemo was trying to get him to eat and drink enough, made more difficult by the diabetes which further restricted his options. One day, we get a package delivered to Gary's door, open it, and there in the box was a generous assortment of diabetic drinks for Gary to try. He did try them all, and found one he liked and that was one of the few things he could keep down during his ordeal. The sender of that box? A total stranger who had never met Gary but heard about his problem here in this forum and just decided to let him know that someone out there cared. Her kindness had a huge impact on him, and still brings tears of gratitude to my eyes and heart. Chatty, many people have done wonderful things for me in my life, but you helping my brother like that was by far the kindest, most heart-lifting thing I've ever experienced.

Gary's gone, but your kindness lives on in my heart forever, and I believe that it gets passed along and rippled back out into the world, because everytime I remember, it reminds me to be kind and generous of heart to others who I meet along my way.

(Maya Angelou)

#165265 - 11/11/08 10:02 AM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

Kindness is a baton like in a relay race.
I saw it acted out as a child in small ways.Vegetables left at doorsteps when others' had plenty and being sent with parcels to homes when we had things.
Our Cnadian relations sent food parcels ..Until 1952 we had rationing.these parcels were shared...dear friends were included when we had plenty.The box was lined with childrens comics..and the bounty within was more than just food.It was an act of faith from a brother to his sister.Great Uncle Jim came to to us for his last years lived amongst us so I did get to meet the sender.

I cannot tell of all the kind acts but one phone call saying a kitten was being deliver to me later that day is one .
my friend this year who moved after her bereavement gave me so much during her downsizing...as I use and see her belongings in my home I feel blessed.as if her energy is here with me.
The generosity to many during her grief..she lost her mother and husband within two weeks is an example of her person.
Even her food from her cupboard was given to me for the church homeless drive.
Like LJ can we post more than once.
Mountain ash

#165272 - 11/11/08 03:01 PM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Oh Chatty, what a wonderful thread!

There are a gazillion "kindest" things (is that possible) I have been blessed with in my life. And I often forget them, so this is a great remember (that is why I started collecting stories of kindness a few months ago...because there are so many and they aren't often focused on).

One happened just this morning. If you've read my request for prayer (and so many of you have shared your love and prayers), you know things are a bit tough right now in my marital life.

A young lady from Germany was due to spend 10 days with us (starting Friday) and we were both excited and I was a bit concerned about the tensions between us and how they would affect her.

This morning she wrote that she had a dream about the two of us and how we needed to spend time together reminding each other how much we loved each other. So she said, in short form, you don't need to pick me up Friday and then wrote a beautiful "script" for what she would like to see us do, in her honor, for the week she would have been here. The script included a ceremony I taught her for releasing old memories and hurts, movie night with beer and all sorts of wonderful things. It was an amazing gift...and I'm stunned into silence by the insight and kindness of it.

It remains to be seen whether my hubbie will honor her request...he was scheduled to take a week off work and now is reconsidering that. Which, to be frank, hurts ('cuz of course I had a vision of him taking the week off anyway) and is understood. He has yet to decide if he wants to actually "work" on this relationship or not, so this may be more of a push than he really wants to deal with right now.

AND that takes nothing away from the amazing act of kindness given by this young woman.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#165284 - 11/11/08 04:14 PM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: Mama Red]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
What insight your friend has Mama Red. Hopefully your husband will follow her advice and just the two of you will spend a "rivival" week together.

I think this is a beautiful thread too Chatty.

But frankly I got to think about it. Hmmm, a special compliment? Am I thinking too long? Eeeee,… Not a good sign....

Orchid just complimented me in another thread. How she could imagine me being a good worker in an orphanage. Things like that touch my heart. Oh, and you ladies have spoiled me with compliments on my art work. That made me blush over and over.
I'm with Eagle; I think I have received the most compliments here.

#165290 - 11/11/08 05:35 PM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: Edelweiss2]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Thanks Edelweiss...I hope so too...as of right now, he has not responded to the positive, so I will continue my prayers and see what happens.

I appreciate all the support I've received here and am doing my best to STOP settting expectations and let be what is.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#165335 - 11/12/08 12:26 AM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: Mama Red]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh my Eagle, you have brought me to tears. I didn't expect to read what you wrote and I thank you for being so kind. I do the things I do because they give me such pleasure to be able to help someone in some small way. I know Gary enjoyed laughing as well and I found myself searching for more and more jokes to send to him. That was such fun. Thank You...

Ladies I feel this will be a healing thread so OF COURSE lets post as many memories each as we can recall.

I too have many but here is just one for now...

My first husband and I were newly married and had plans to buy a house. The houses in our price range were small and needed lots of work. We found one and bought it. The deal went through just a week before we were to leave on a fishing trip with some friends. That was our honeymoon too. We couldn't get out of the trip because everything was paid for in advance. So we decided we'd do all of the work little by little when we returned.

Two weeks later we pulled onto the block of our new home and I remember saying, wheres the house? We're on the wrong street! We drove around the block and no, it was the right block.

While we were gone, my father, my grandpa and two uncles painted the outside, and inside, laid new tile throughout, and it looked like a brand new home, they even planted sod and beautiful flowering hedges, and two trees.

When we pulled into the driveway, out of our house stepped our families, we went inside and after ooing, and awing everything, we settled down for a house warming party.

Now thats something wonderful I will never forget.

#165498 - 11/14/08 01:04 AM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: chatty lady]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Today I was walking out of the supermarket with two full bags and someone rudely crashed into me, causing me to drop my bag of groceries and fruit went rolling everywhere.

As I scurried about trying to catch everything and still keep an eye on the other bag and my purse, a car stopped and three young rather rough looking young men emerged and began grabbing up my groceries.

I wasn't sure what they were doing, or why, until one of them said here ma'am, you have a seat and we'll get it. Once everything was picked up and put back into the bag. They carried the bags to my car and made sure all was well. I offered them some money but they said nope, we just hope if this ever happens to our mon someone will stop and help her too.

#165507 - 11/14/08 07:55 AM Re: What is the nicest... [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Aw, so there are good apples in the younger generation as well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved