HI Ladies,

I have been quite troubled over the past few months. My friend that I have known basically since college and I are no longer friends. She has always been a very outspoken individual who didn't care what people thought of her-- I do admire her bravery. However, often this behavior would be translated to others as negativity and a bad attitude. I often would have to stick up for her and say that it takes time to get to know her but once they get past the superficial layer she is a great gal.

For years I have done this. As time went on, I noticed she became more negative and I just think this was her way of crying for attention. I stayed by her side because I cared.

Fast forward-- when I lost my job two years ago, she made many back handed comments to me and behind my back about how easy it is to find a job and she didn't understand why I couldn't just find one. In addition to this she would talk behind my back about her random frustrations with me, life about her interactions with me, or would say unkind things to my boyfriend. I was already at the lowest point in my life where I was struggling with a new identity trying to find a job. Her negativity became poison and whenever I confronted her to address these issues she would deny, deny, deny.

Last winter I officially decided the negativity had to end. I was too old for this in my life and wanted to keep my life clean and stress free. I want friends that I can go through the good, bad, and ugly and communicate with. However, with her I cannot. We have fallen out of communication and have not spoken for months. I have my many reasons as to why I can't speak with her but I don't know what her reasons are for not talking to me. The sad part is that I no longer miss her anymore although we have many mutual friends that keeps us in fair proximity of one another.

I can't help but question am I too old to be losing a friend or am I too old to have petty negativity in my life? Has this happened to anyone and was there a resolution or was the friendship mended in any way?