The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#150842 - 06/11/08 02:29 PM The language of our kids/grandkids
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Ok, I admit. I am challenged when communicating with someone young enough to be my son or daughter. I work with a bunch of 20something year old males. I don't "get" the way they talk.

They often share funny websites or stories. Here is one: http://www.kittywigs.com/. This website uses the word "redonkulessness" and a few other words. I see the kitty wigs are cute and funny...but does ANYONE understand the word "redonkulessness?" I went to dictionary.com to see if I could find it. Clues? To me it sounds like you might be beating your head against a brick wall!! I'm frustrated ...I'm a tech writer and supposed to have a good technical vocabulary LOL.

#150843 - 06/11/08 02:47 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: keyholes]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Never heard of it...I'd ask the youngsters what it means...and I hope it's clean.

#150844 - 06/11/08 03:00 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: Dee]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Ok, I learned something new today. And Dee, you'll be pleased to know it's clean. There is something called an urban dictionary: www.urbandictionary.com. I never knew such a thing existed. I was an ENGLISH and marketing major for cryin' out loud LOL, and I am having a hard time keeping up with this new English "language" out there.

But...here is the definition of that word.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=redonkulous

Do these kids just dream up words? They do keep me challenged.

#150845 - 06/11/08 05:36 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: keyholes]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Instead of "you're welcome", it's "No problem"...which I despise!

When someones DOES actually use You're Welcome, I compliment them!

#150846 - 06/12/08 02:17 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: Di]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I like it when kids make up words. It shows that they have learned the rules in a language, understand how words are made and have a good comprehension of words and language. Just my bias.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#150848 - 06/12/08 08:24 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: ]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
... and this is one reason why the Bible is so hard to understand.

#150849 - 06/12/08 09:01 PM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Can you believe they actually have their own dictionary for these many, many new words? Sheesh!!!!! Keyhole I never would have believed it without seeing it for myself.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#150850 - 06/13/08 03:02 AM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I hate 'whatever'....makes me nuts!

#150851 - 06/13/08 06:14 AM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: Dee]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
18 years in London and I'm still translating American to English to cockney/regional to urban.

#150852 - 06/13/08 10:36 AM Re: The language of our kids/grandkids [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is amazing. Maybe it's because I have three young adults, but my guess was that it mean ridiculous. Do I get an A? Please say yes.

There's another word they use, "redic" or "redick" (not sure how it's spelled) - how about that nice word? Anyway, it also means ridiculous.

keyholes, here's another dictionary for ya. It's called the Hippie Dictionary, by John Bassett McCleary. I use it for writing on occasion because I write about boomers.

I remember when I got it. Hubby and I read through it in the den and roared at some of the terms from the 60s and 70s.

Our oldest is 23 and very conservative - finance major, works in corporate America. He's rarely used slang.

Our daughter is 20, a human service major, and uses it on a rare occasion.

Out youngest is 19, a film major, and uses slang often. The other day, after shooting all day, I spoke with him to see how the project was going and he said, "It's insane!"
My response was, "Is that insane good, or insane bad?"
By the tone of his voice, I thought he meant good, and he did.

"I'm out." Remember that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved