The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47064 - 08/03/04 09:20 PM another perspective on troubles
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Subject: Malachi 3:3

Malachi 3:3 says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."

This verse puzzled some women in a Bible study and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God. One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible Study.

That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver.

As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities. The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot then she thought again about the verse that says: "He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver."

She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined.

The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?" He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy - when I see my image in it."

If today you are feeling the heat of the fire, remember that God has His eye on you and will keep watching you until He sees His image in you.

Right now, this very moment, someone needs to know that God is watching over them. And, whatever they're going through, they'll be a better person in the end.

This is another one of those things flying through the internet without credit. If I wrote this I'd definitey put my name on it. Wouldn't you?

Thanks Lynn for sending it to me.

#47065 - 08/03/04 09:52 PM Re: another perspective on troubles
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Dear Dots,

That post was for me, thank you.

Sherri

#47066 - 08/03/04 11:04 PM Re: another perspective on troubles
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I read it months ago and it has helped me minister to others in a more effective way. The illustration is so vivid.

[Smile] Isn't comforting to know that God is holding us, keeping his eyes on us when we are facing trials? It all works out for the good- We're ready when we reflect God in our daily lives!

#47067 - 08/05/04 07:30 AM Re: another perspective on troubles
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
This is a wonderful verse and story; one I've not heard of before. I must remember this--in fact, I'll print it out for the future. I think my Dad might get something out of this. His faith has been wavering over the years. This might just bring him back!

Many thanks!

#47068 - 08/06/04 04:18 PM Re: another perspective on troubles
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Dotsie knows all about the troubles I've been having but I've held off posting as I keep thinking things are going to turn around any moment and discussing marital problems feels like a betrayal to my husband. But I need some prayers and support as my husband asked for a divorce a couple weeks ago.

I'm still hopeful that he'll give it more time and that we can work things out. I love my husband so much and can't imagine how I can deal with the pain if he leaves me. I'm feeling pretty bad about myself because this divorce would be pretty much all my fault and would be my 3rd divorce. No husband. No friends. Loveability is definately in question and it's hard right now to have faith that God loves me and has a plan for me and that everything will be okay.

Please pray that I experience a new strength and power to press on and endure, even when it's painful.

#47069 - 08/06/04 04:46 PM Re: another perspective on troubles
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Mary,
One thing I can guarantee is that God does love you and will hear your prayers, and ours as we offer them up to him in your name.

I am assuming from your post that you do not want this divorce, therefore, I will pray that God will open up your husband's heart to receive your words of compromise, or whatever your words may hold for your marriage to stay intact and grow.

We are here for you, and if you need additional support, please email me. I'm not a marriage counselor, and for sure cannot tell you what to do, but I have broad shoulders.

Sendings lots of love and support your way,

JJ

#47070 - 08/06/04 08:06 PM Re: another perspective on troubles
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Agate
You do have friends. And we are here to surround you with prayer. As you go through this situation, know that no matter what happens, God is with you. Be comforted by the prayers of your boomer friends.
smile

#47071 - 08/07/04 12:40 AM Re: another perspective on troubles
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Agate, my sister was married for nearly 20 somedthing years and her husband was indifferent to her and unloving. She had always made an extremely good living along with him and developed MS and was no longer able to work or hardly care for herself. He became a horror. She decided with much prompting from my family to divorce him. In the courthouse she threw herself at his feet to beg his forgiveness, he merely walked away saying, "you wanted this now you have it." After that she came to live with me in Vegas as far from Indiana and him as she could get. My point here is that she listened to others and never really wanted the divorce or to be away from him. She cried herself to sleep nightly saying at least he was there and I could see and smell him and sometimes he talked to me but now I am alone....If this divorce is of your doing and NOT what you want, hang in there, you never know what might happen down the road. Sometimes we are too eager to say "divorce him." You have to follow your heart, what you earnestly feel not what others say to feel. My sister died staring at his photos spread out on her bed...Some love never dies even though it would be better dead....Good luck to you.

#47072 - 08/07/04 05:49 PM Re: another perspective on troubles
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks for the good thoughts. I was doing pretty good yesterday. I called a writer friend (yes, I do have a local friend) who, as usual, was getting ready to head out of town, but she was very supportive, although a little too quick to start telling me to look out for my financial welfare and don't let myself be a victim and walk away with nothing. That's why I don't like to talk to friends about marriage problems. I'm not ready to think about what I'll do if this divorce really happens.

My sister also called and is praying long and hard for me. But today I'm struggling. I called my husband this morning and told him I loved him and missed him. I knew that was a mistake, that all I'd hear back was empty air and that it would hurt me.

I went to a counseling center at church last Thursday and I'm hoping my husband will come with me this coming week, but he hasn't told me yes or no yet. I think he's held off on saying some things to me because he's worried I'll kill myself over the weekend.

I need to visit my mom today. I haven't gone much this week. But I'm afraid I can't keep my act together. I should ride my horses, but I can't get the energy together.

I get an e-mail of a positive quote everyday and todays was:

If you have made mistakes...there is always another chance for you...you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -- Mary Pickford

I just want to believe that I haven't failed yet, and that I get another chance to do things right with my husband.

#47073 - 08/08/04 07:00 AM Re: another perspective on troubles
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Mary,
I'm answering this post NOT because I have answers, because I don't. But to say that I hope you will change your own perspective of your situation.

Start by taking the word failure completely out of your vocabulary, please! If going thru a divorce, or even maybe going thru one, is failure, then you would have to line up more than half of the world's population.

If you believe in God, and I think you have said you do, then please get your Bible out and just open it for comfort. Just read.

Sometimes I think we go to our friends looking for answers when there are none. I do agree with you that looking out for the material aspect of a tentative divorce is premature somewhat, but not entirely. And I think she was only thinking of your welfare. I know it wasn't what you were wanting to discuss, but she knew her time was limited for discussion and wanted to offer the best she could I'm sure.

Ultimately, all decisions rest with you and your husband. If getting back together with him is all you want, and hunger for, then don't give up. Pray for guidance, take proactive steps, and this goes without saying, but be upfront and completely honest with him. YOU BOTH deserve no less.

I hope this helps somewhat. It was posted in love, I hope you know this.

JJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved