The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#216653 - 03/14/12 10:54 PM Key Lime Pie...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I've rediscovered Key Lime Pie. Yummie! Hadn't had this kind of pie in about 30 years. Oh my is it goooooodddd!

#216654 - 03/14/12 10:55 PM Re: Key Lime Pie... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Any of U like this pie???

#216655 - 03/15/12 12:51 AM Re: Key Lime Pie... [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I love it! I buy a soy yogurt that is key lime - it makes a great dessert and very refreshing with just the right balance of sweet and sour.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#216656 - 03/15/12 01:35 AM Re: Key Lime Pie... [Re: yonuh]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I LOVE Key Lime Pie! Not sure if I've ever made it from scratch myself, but I have certainly eaten some wonderful slices of it.

I bought a half dozen key limes about a month ago with the intent to MAKE one. But I did something else with them. Hmmm, I'll have to go through my notes to remind myself what it was I used them for. Whatever it was, I had to juice them, and get the rind from them, so it was a bunch of work.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216662 - 03/15/12 10:52 PM Re: Key Lime Pie... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

WB & I usually buy 1/2 a pie of any other kind; we just bought a full Key Lime pie and are enjoying every slice! Looooovvvvveee it!

#216667 - 03/16/12 01:57 AM Re: Key Lime Pie... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
The other day I made a fabulous Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake. It was so refreshing and light, yet full of flavor. I bet it would be equally good made with key limes...

If you're not familiar with the concept of a pudding cake, you are in for a real treat. The cake is light, refreshing, and not overly sweet. The top part of the cake is soft and fluffy, similar to a soufflé.

When you break into the cake with your spoon, you discover a creamy and smooth lemon pudding layer at the bottom. The two textures combine to create a heavenly dessert.

I served mine warm, topped with homemade whipped cream, which I find so much more decadent than Kool Whip, aerosol whipped cream or any other alternative.

But you could also simply dust your cake with powdered sugar before serving. Or do the powdered sugar and add fresh berries. (Beyond, that I guess you could just eat it unadorned.)

The leftovers, if any, should be refrigerated. Don't worry, the cake is good served cold, too.

In case you'd like to try it, here's my recipe:

Quote:

Anne's Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake

Yield: Serves 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes (after you juice and zest the lemons, so more likely 45 minutes)
Cook Time: 35 - 40 minutes

Ingredients:
Butter, for greasing
1/3 C. all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
1-1/4 cups whole milk
4 teaspoons grated Meyer lemon zest
3/4 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice - this might require juicing 8-12 lemons
5 egg yolks - @ room temperature
4 egg whites - @ room temperature

1 cup cold whipping cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 1-1/2 quart soufflé dish. (You can use six 8-ounce ramekins, if you want individual servings).

2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt and 1 cup sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and egg yolks until blended. Stir into the flour mixture until just blended.

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until foamy. Increase speed to medium-high, add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and beat to stiff peaks. Add one-quarter of the whites to the lemon mixture and gently fold in. Continue to fold in whites one-quarter at a time. Transfer it to the prepared soufflé dish or dishes. Place the dish or dishes in a larger pan and carefully pour boiling water around it to a depth of halfway up the sides of your dish or ramekins.

4. Bake until the top of the cake is slightly golden brown and the center is just set. The cake should spring back when gently touched. This will probably be 35 minutes for the large cake or 20-25 minutes for the ramekins. Do not open the oven door while the cake is baking. When the cake is done, remove from the water bath immediately and cool on a rack for 10-15 minutes.

5. To make the whipped cream topping, beat the heavy cream in a large chilled bowl - I prefer to do this with the stand mixer, but you can do it by hand. If using a mixer, chill the beater, too. As soon as soft peaks form, add the 3 tablespoons of sugar, and a half teaspoon of vanilla.

Serve warm.

Notes-if you can't find Meyer lemons you can use regular lemons - or change things up and make this with key limes. Just use 3/4 cup of lemon or lime juice. The recipe required a whole bag of Meyer lemons when I made it, but you might need less if your lemons or limes are larger.

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216669 - 03/16/12 08:57 PM Re: Key Lime Pie... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Thank you Anne. Wow does this look good. When I get back home I'll have to try this.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved