The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#218313 - 12/20/12 04:14 AM Macaroni & Peas
ElevatingYourBusiness Offline

Loc: USA
I just made this for one of my non-Italian friends. She wanted the recipe. Note: Italian macaroni (pasta) is made with only durum semolina. A bit healthier than those made with white flour.

It's from my Nanna (Maria Marsala)

Peas and Prosciutto - Brought From Sicily by Maria Marsala
(side dish or appetizer or full meal, take your pick!)

2 medium yellow or white onions
¼ lb imported Prosciutto (if necessary, buy domestic prosciutto)
15 oz can LeSuer peas use entire contents of can (or baby peas and add salted water from the pasta)
I box Ditalini macaroni
Grated cheese (romano or locatelli to taste)
4 tablespoons butter and/or extra virgin olive oil
1 cup water from the boiled macaroni
Basil

Cook macaroni to al dente in water with a teaspoon of salt, and drain
Separately…
Sauté onions--the more the better in butter ( you could use olive oil too)
Add prosciutto
Add a little basil to taste (or not)
Add LeSure peas with the liquid
Add water

Combine the pasta with prosciutto/peas. The pasta will keep absorbing liquid and bloat so add more water if necessary or when you reheat.

Enjoy

Edited by ElevatingYourBusiness (12/20/12 04:16 AM)

We help independent and fee-based financial advisors find simpler ways to grow personally and professionally.

http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

#218318 - 12/20/12 09:04 PM Re: Macaroni & Peas [Re: ElevatingYourBusiness]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks Maria, This sounds like a wonderful meal for a winter day. (We've been experiencing a blizzard here in the Midwest today, so I'm ready for a nice soup meal.)

By the way, I wasn't familiar with the type of pasta you recommended -- at least not by name.

So i looked it up. Found out ditalini means "little thimbles" in Italian. It's a smaller cousin of elbow macaroni, and formed into a straight smooth tubular shape.

My source said ditalini can be used in hearty soups, stews, salads and side dishes. For example, if you're familiar with the Italian soup called "Pasta Fagioli" (literally "pasta and beans"), which they serve at the Olive Garden restaurant chain -- for those of us who don't have a more authentic Italian restaurant to frequent -- ditalini is the pasta shape used in that classic thick Italian soup.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved