The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#214725 - 09/18/11 05:41 PM Remember porcupine meatballs?
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
A friend just told me she was going to take a break from working to make meatballs, and somehow my brain shifted to a dish my mother often made in the 60s: Porcupine Meatballs.

Does anyone else remember these? They were made with hamburger and uncooked rice, then cooked over time in a sauce, which allowed the rice to cook.

Most recipes I've found for these meatballs seem to utilize a tomato-based sauce, but if memory serves, my mother may have made these with sort of an Asian flavored tomato-based sauce, which might have included pineapple chunks and red and green peppers.

So far, I haven't located a recipe online that has the "Chinese sauce," but I DID find several recipes for porcupine meatballs.

Here's one: Porcupine Meatballs

If you don't want to click the link, here's the recipe:

Porcupine Meatballs

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
* 2/3 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
* 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1 large can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
* 1 cup water
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Method:

Mix ground beef with rice, 1/2 cup of water, chopped onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Shape porcupine ground beef mixture by tablespoon into 1 1/2-inch balls.

Place the porcupine meatballs in an ungreased 2-quart shallow baking dish. Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the porcupine meatballs. Cover and bake at 350° F. oven for about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake porcupine meatballs 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Porcupine meatballs serve 4 to 6.

I guess if I were going to try to replicate the recipe I think my mother made, I might exchange the Worchestershire sauce with low sodium soy sauce, and add a can of pineapple bits in juice, substituting the juice for part or all of the water, and add sliced water chestnuts, chopped peppers and onions to taste, to the sauce.

Anyone else have any memories or suggestions?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214733 - 09/18/11 11:00 PM Re: Remember porcupine meatballs? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Well I've been around for a while now and never heard of these
meatballs.

#214734 - 09/19/11 12:36 AM Re: Remember porcupine meatballs? [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I wonder if Chatty has ever heard of this recipe? I found multiple versions of it -- including variations of the Chinese option -- in Google, so I'm sure SOMEONE in the forum has heard if it...

As I recall, it was pretty good. I think I will try it myself. I used to make it back when I did dinner cooking duty for my mother, but haven't made it since then.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214744 - 09/21/11 12:22 AM Re: Remember porcupine meatballs? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

This recipe sounds really good. Chatty likes to cook, so perhaps
she has it on file.

#214748 - 09/21/11 04:15 AM Re: Remember porcupine meatballs? [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I was hoping she'd have something to say about it. I know she loves to cook.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214770 - 09/22/11 01:31 PM Re: Remember porcupine meatballs? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Chatty!
Have you ever heard of these porcupine meatballs? I mean, they sound really good. When I married WB, he had a recipe for
"Texas Hash" with similar ingredients.

#214792 - 09/25/11 09:56 PM Re: Remember porcupine meatballs? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Nope, never have heard them called 'porcupine meatballs?' My recipe is the same as Annes but I wrap my meatalls in a cabbage leaf then place them in a tomato sauce to cook and call them stuffed cabbage. I also use the same meat/rice recipe and put some into green peppers for stuffed peppers, also into a tomato sauce. I sprinkle parmesan cheese on these when they are finished. I also sometime use turkey burger meat and quick cooking rice, tastes the same but cooks much faster...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214802 - 09/27/11 03:38 AM Re: Remember porcupine meatballs? [Re: chatty lady]
Boomer in Chief

I've made the stuffed pepper variety, but have never been too much of a fan of cabbage. Too bad, since I guess it is good for me!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214885 - 10/01/11 10:24 PM Re: Remember porcupine meatballs? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Rose Offline

Loc: Georgia
I love to cook and I, too, have heard of porcupine meatballs but I have never made them...thanks for sharing your recipe, Anne! I'll have to get out my chef's hat and get busy! Rose

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved