The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216100 - 01/12/12 03:01 AM Correct meat for a roast?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I'm not a good cook. But I want to do a roast in an oven bag. I "thought" that you could do any meat and it'd be tender/moist etc. But the eye round I got was tough. But the dogs were happy!

So...HELP! What is the best way to cook a roast..and what kind. I need TENDER that breaks away with a fork.

#216101 - 01/12/12 03:16 AM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Di]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
What sort of roast are you looking for, Di? A pot roast or a fine roast beef?

For a pot roast, I like to buy a piece of beef chuck roast, or sometimes I buy something called an "English Roast." Generally 3-4 pounds.

I quickly sear or brown this in some olive oil in a skillet on the stove top, then stick it in a slow cooker with some canned stewed tomatoes, some quartered onions, a clove of garlic, a bay leaf and some beef broth and/or some red wine and let it cook all day. Toward the end of the cooking I add peeled potatoes, sliced carrots, etc.

This is a less tender cut of beef, so you need to cook it long and slow. When it's done, the beef will fall apart in the crock pot -- it's that tender.

For a traditional roast beef, you need to buy something a bit pricier, like prime rib.

You coat this with a paste of herbs and salt and pepper, put it in a roasting pan and cook it in the oven at 350 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer, and it's done when the beef reaches an internal temperature of 125 degrees Farenheit. This will probably take a few hours, depending on the size of the cut of beef.

There are a lot of good recipes for various types of beef roasts on the Food Network website.

Hope this helps!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216102 - 01/12/12 03:49 AM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Di Offline

The chuck roast sounds like my speed. And yes, crock pot, too. My poor husband.....all I really know how to cook is lasagne, meat balls and spaghetti. It may sound strange to you all...and at MY age. But I just really never learned.

I'll let you know when I get a roast.

#216105 - 01/12/12 02:48 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Di,
Don't feel bad. I'm not a good cook either. Spaghetti sauce is my best effort. I cook. But out of necessity. I buy those frozen Pot Roast prepared packages from the Federal Meat Market. They're just enough for 2 people, in fact I get a couple of meals out 'em. The gravy is right there and so I just mash up some potatoes; and, it makes a great meal. Good luck. Anne's recipes sound devine!

#216109 - 01/12/12 07:12 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Oh, ladies, I am a cook at heart and I love to share my recipes. I cook and bake as a creative outlet and my friends tell me there is no better restaurant in the Galena area than "Chez Anne."

I'm all about easy meals that are healthy and use "real ingredients" -- that is I avoid processed foods and artificial ingredients.

But I work, too. So my goal is creating meals that can be prepared in 30 minutes -- or no more than 60.

I love to experiment with what I make and rarely make the EXACT same meal twice. So, let me know if you'd like me to share any of my recipes.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216110 - 01/12/12 07:56 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Di]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Don't feel bad, Di, about not knowing how to cook. I don't cook at all unless I have to - I had no interest in learning when I was younger and still don't. In fact, my home ec teacher wrote on my report card that I didn't see why I had to learn any of that stuff. Needless to say, I didn't get very good grades. If I had the option of taking wood or metal shop back then, I would have!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#216116 - 01/13/12 09:05 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

Di,
Think about this: Some of us can't make Shea Butter and bath
soap. U can't B good at everything!!! LOL...

#216124 - 01/14/12 02:38 AM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Thanks, Jab...but honestly..I do not MAKE Shea Butter. It's a nutty extract from an west Africa tree.That is why I will not MAKE lotion. Chemicals would have to be used and I don't DO chemicals!

But I do make soap, soap scrubbies!

If anyone wants a 4 page PDF of how to roast properly using cheaper meat, send me a PM w/your email addy. My stepdaughter sent it to me and, in my spare time...I plan to read it.

#216133 - 01/14/12 02:40 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

I know. Was just jiving ya. I also know you do make soap; seen pictures of your shop! I like to horse around a bit, ya know!!!

The Federal roast I was referring to is: "Gourmet Pot Roast in
Gravy"; it comes in a 8" x 6" package and can be cooked either in a microwave or conventional oven. Have had it using both heating methods and both are great! There are always leftovers for beef and gravy sandwiches.

#216165 - 01/17/12 02:19 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Di,
I searched Shea butter on Wikipedia a while back and learned that it is actually edible. Who knew?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved