The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 96 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#217536 - 07/11/12 09:19 PM First Local Corn of the Season
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Oh how exciting! I went to my local grocery store this afternoon to pick up a couple of pork chops for dinner tonight - and they had a sign out by the door saying "Fincel Corn $4.95/dozen."

Oh, joy!! Fincel corn is something I have rhapsodized about her in the past. It's a local grower. So when the Fincel corn is ready, summer is finally here.

We will be having fresh corn on the cob tonight with our pork chops. And then fresh peaches and ice cream for dessert.

What's cooking at your house?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217539 - 07/12/12 11:17 PM Re: First Local Corn of the Season [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anne, Nothing better than fresh corn. There's a roadside stand down on the main road near us; buy corn there every summer. They have the bread and butter corn, dark 'n light, ya know.

Also bought yellow summer squash; sliced it lengthwise; put butter on it and cubed tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese.
Grilled it! And was that ever good. 1st time I've tried yellow squash this way. Usually, I'll roll it pancake batter and pan fry it. Good that way, too. But grilling is really good.

How do you fix summer squash. And sorry to take the main discussion in another direction. We can go back to corn, if you like. Word associate takes me everywhere. Was gonna start another thread. But, oh well!

#217545 - 07/13/12 06:51 PM Re: First Local Corn of the Season [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Jabber,

Your new way of fixing summer squash sounds so delicious that I can't wait to buy some squash and give it a try.

I don't make a lot of zucchini or summer squash dishes. Maybe it's because I ate so much of it when I was young. Back when I was a teen, my grandfather who was an excellent doctor, and my grandmother, who lived to garden, set up a huge backyard vegetable garden at their weekend retreat, a "cottage" on the Wisconsin River in a rural area near a town called Muscoda.

The soil is really black and rich there beside the river, and this garden was a prodigious producer. They grew cucumbers, lettuce, corn, melons, tomatoes, zucchini and beans, as I recall. Maybe also potatoes.

Since it produced so much, my grandparents would come back home on Monday and start visiting friends and family to share the wealth. Which was wonderful, as our family weekly received enough fresh produce to last the week. And all of it free.

The only trouble was, since they were only there on the weekends, the veggies often weren't picked when they were young and normal sized.

My grandfather delighted in bringing us absolutely huge zucchinis. They would literally be three feet long and 4-5 inches in diameter.

NOT the little squashes we see in the stores now, which I often simply wash, slice and serve fresh, like this zucchini salad.

Back in the day, my mother would wash these huge squash, slice them horizontally into 1-inch rounds, and stew these chunks in a broth of some sort. Sometimes she'd stew some tomatoes with them.

And of course, we also shredded the squash and made quick breads. That's pretty yummy, too.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217547 - 07/13/12 10:31 PM Re: First Local Corn of the Season [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Truthfully, I never cared for squash much. But this summer squash is good fix like this. And I love corn-on-the-cob.
They had lots of veggies when I was a kid, but some of it I couldn't and still can't stomach. Parsnips for example.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved